Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1099A Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 03:16 PM
    1099-A - collection agencies
    My spouse had some major medical issues, and was unable to work, we explained this in a hardship letter to Mortgage Co. and tried to work with them, but they foreclosed on our 2nd home in September 2008. In January 2009 they sent us a 1099-A for the difference between what was owed and the Fair Market Value. We had to claim the difference on our 2008 taxes when filed. Now we have a collection agency calling us and trying to collect the difference between what was owed and the fair market value. Is this legal and how should we handle the collection agency. Thanks for any help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2009, 03:24 PM

A 1099A is an informational form. It reports the difference between the balance of the loan and the Fair Market Value. It alos serves to notice the IRS of the sale.

But, unlike a 1099C, it does not cancel the debt, so if a balance was owwed, it is legal to dun you for it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 2, 2009, 03:28 PM

Hello 10:

If you agreed to a short sale, then the difference in the sales price and what you owed WOULD be considered income to you, and you'd owe taxes on that amount. However, some law passed last year ended that practice. I can find out more about that, if you wish..

However, it has nothing to do with your situation, in my view... The house got foreclosed upon. You didn't gain income from it. In fact, you suffered a loss. Therefore, no taxes were owed no matter that you received a 1099, and no matter what the deal is on the law that I spoke of.

Yes, you owe the difference between what the bank sold it for and what you owed - hence your loss. I'd file an amended return and settle with the bank.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agencies [ 1 Answers ]

My mother (Quebec resident) received a letter from a collection agency in Toronto regarding a debt from a company based in Alberta. The debt dates back to March 2005. She has never heard of the company and has never received any invoices from the alberta-based company. The collection agency...

Collection Agencies [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there... I've had a debt since 2000 and have not paid anything on it due to finanically struggling for several years. For a couple years now, I haven't heard anything from them. Suddenly they are now springing up again, calling me. I can't seem to find any information online about the...

Collection agencies [ 6 Answers ]

I have noticed a run of collection agency posts lately. I don't know what it is about this time of year, it seems to happen around tax time. Anyway, how many times can a debtor be hit by collection agencies, I mean how many times can it be sold, passed on, whatever the terminology is. I always...

About Collection Agencies [ 6 Answers ]

Do US collection agencies have jurisdiction in Canada? Do US judgements have any effect on debtors from Canada?

Collection agencies [ 1 Answers ]

I Am In Collection Agencies For My Charged Off Accounts If I Start Paying Them Off Will It Show The 3 Major Credit Bureusm My Payments Made To Them For Example I Owe Sears But It Is On Collection How Does It Work? Thank A lot

View more questions Search