Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    middlekids Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 09:14 AM
    How to wire a new ceiling fixture in an old box with four wires
    Hello all,
    I have a home built in the 1950s and am trying to change a simple ceiling fixture. My husband disconnected the old fixture from the ceiling, but neglected to see how it was connected. :o my question is this: I'm trying to hook up a new fixture with just one black, one white and one ground. The ceiling box has FOUR wires coming out. I've identified the black and white, but have no idea what the other two are for. Any help is greated appreciated.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 2, 2009, 09:34 AM

You could hook up the whites and the grounds, then the black on the light to an unused/unknown wire and test with a known good bulb. If it doesn't work with switch, try the other wire.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 2, 2009, 10:30 AM

It is likely that this light is controlled by a switch on the wall. Therefore, it is also likely that one of the two black wires is bring power to the ceiling box and the other black is connected to the switch. Pick up a voltage sensor like the one shown below. After determining which black wire has voltage on it, connect it to the white wire going to the switch. Connect the white wire from the light to the other white wire. Connect the black wire of the light to the black wire going to the switch.
    Attached Images

creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:21 AM

Hi middlekids

hkstroud has nailed it.

Add black tape to white wire going to switch to designate as hot. Add tape a both light box and switch box.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring new fixture, red,black and white wires [ 15 Answers ]

From switch many white wires,wire nutted together, black to switch, red to switch. From ceiling, whites nut together black nut together ,red nut together.one black wire Hanging down from previous light fixture, one red, and one white. Which wires do I use for Fixutre which has one white...

Ceiling fixture, one wire too many [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having trouble installing a new ceiling light where one once was. The new fixture has two white and two black, plus a ground wire. The ceiling opening has two white, two black, a ground and one red wire. The ceiling light is controlled by a wall switch. Wiring black to black and white to white...

Ceiling fixture to hot wires [ 8 Answers ]

I wish to hang a ceiling fixture where there are 2-two wire cables present. When I disconnect the wires it turns off power to the existing ceiling light fixtures which are connected to a 3 way switch. These wires have a constant power to them. How can I utilize these cables?

Replacing a ceiling fan with fixture that only has black & white wires [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan and there is a red, black and white wire in the ceiling box. It appears the switch is connected to the black (top connection) & red (bottom connection) on the light switch. The ceiling fixture only has a black & white wires. When I connect black to black and white...

Matching color-coded wires on a light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a light fixture (I;m in the U.S.) and the box has a black and a white wire plus the ground wire, but my (European?) light fixture has blue, brown, and yellow-green. Can someone advise me on which wire should connect to the white and which to the black? Thank you for helping.

View more questions Search