Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrodz02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 05:21 AM
    How can I have parents parental rights relinquished without their authorization?
    I am the custodial parent of my 7 year old son. I have been married for the past 3 yearsto a woman who is not his biological mother. My sons mother has had absolutely no contact with him for the past 5 years. My wife has been his only mother for the past 4 years. My sons biological mother does pay child support because they take it out of her check. I have no idea of where she is or how to contact her. I know that if a parent does not pay child support for a year, that would mean child abandonment. I also learned that in some states, child abandonment also means if the non-custodial parent has had no contact with the child for over a year. Could someone tell me which states those are? That way I can move to that state, establish residency, and follow through with a stepparent adoption. My wife and I would like her to adopt my son, so in case anything happens to me she would continue raising him.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2009, 05:27 AM

Forget it. Child abandonment or not, its not going to allow for an involuntary TPR. Courts are VERY reluctant to grant a TPR and while clearing the way for adoption is a primary reason, they will not terminate a parent's rights involuntarily.

What I would do is send a letter to your ex through the support collection agency. Explain to your ex that your new wife would like to adopt your child and, that would end her support payments. If she cares so little about the child as you say, then she would probably jump at this chance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Do I get my son's biological father's parental rights relinquished [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Washington State and am seeking information on ending the parental rights of my son's biological Father. My son is 14 years old and has had no contact with his B.F. for 10 years. His Father is not required nor can be required to pay child support due to a type of Social security he is...

Both parents want to relinquish parental rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have received an e-mail from my x-wife and her husband that they want to do an "adoption reversal", what ever that is, on my teenage son. He was adopted by his stepfather several years ago. Now he is too much trouble for them. They have sent him to stay w/a family member. They are willing...

Can I restore my parental rights to my children if I voluntarily relinquished them? [ 2 Answers ]

Last year my ex was arrested for admitting that he molested my 4 year old son. CPS took my children away from me because they thought I allowed him to do it because I wasn't the person who called the police. My ex's twin brother called because I told him what my son had told me. I didn't call...

When modifying child support can parental rights be relinquished? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to court Nov 15 to ask for child support and have the original support orders modified. Originally one child lived with him and one with me. The other child came back to me 1yr ago. Can my ex relinquish his parental rights to get out of paying for the child support? Thank you very...

Relinquished Parental Rights/child support? [ 1 Answers ]

We adopted my 10-day old niece on 12/17/04. We adopted her through the state as the mother's parental rights were terminated. We received the child when she was only 10 days old. My brother is the alleged father and no testing was involved. He was served and signed papers when the child was...

View more questions Search