Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tedwall Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Wiring for mtd 20 hp mower
    I have an mtd 20 horse riding lawn mower the wiring has been disconnected from the solenoid and the grounds where do I hook the wires coming out of the harness? I have the battery leads hooked up 1 to the large solenoid post and one to chassis ground. The other solenoid wire I have running to the starter. There is only one wire post on the solenoid left ( comes from the key to start?) what color wire? And where does the green fused wire hook up? And the other green wire? Grounds? Help!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 08:06 PM

Can't find the actual manual but there are solenoids that are common and should help explain it

http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/Tech...%20circuts.pdf

http://www.small-engines.com/wirediag.html
    Rivethead Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

May 2, 2009, 04:04 AM

I have an 18 horse MTD that may be wired the same? How many wires do you have coming off the ignition switch - 7 on mine.

May 2, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivethead View Post
    I have an 18 horse MTD that may be wired the same? How many wires do you have coming off the ignition switch - 7 on mine.
    I believe I have the same I have the wiring figured out except for landing the green fused wire at the solenoid, and the plain green wire..

May 2, 2009, 04:03 PM
    :D
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Can't find the actual manual but there are solenoids that are common and should help explain it

http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/Tech...%20circuts.pdf

Basic Tractor wiring diagram
    Thank you it confirmed I have everything wired correctly ill have to wire trace the gree wires and find wher to land them the fused green wire I would think was a hot wire but it ohms with the other green wire. Kind of confusing thanks your answer helped a lot..
    Rivethead Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

May 2, 2009, 08:09 PM

We must have different tractors. I dug out the wiring diagram for the twin and single cylinder engines. Neither show the green to a fuse. It shows the green wire combined with the black from the battery and connected to the solenoid mounting bolt. Red in and out on the solenoid. Small red line from the solenoid to the fuse and exiting as black to the switch.

Green from the ground above to the headlights top connector...

May 4, 2009, 09:03 AM

Thanks rivithead, much help, I will remove the fused green wire from the termination, land the other green to ground and see if it will start, then I can tap the fused wire to the hot and see if the fuse blows.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 09:37 AM

Most "green" wires are ground and thus the fuse on it so it can be used as a ground but a short circuit would cause the fuse to blow so a wiring harness doesn't melt in a short. I have seen a whole harness on a rider melt. So fuse is the reason. Is there any power on the fuse ends with ignition on? Another indication is solenoids either ground on by bolting on a grounded metal frame or bu wire connected to it. Don't know which one you have?

May 4, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Most "green" wires are ground and thus the fuse on it so it can be used as a ground but a short circuit would cause the fuse to blow so a wiring harness doesn't melt in a short. I have seen a whole harness on a rider melt. So fuse is the reason. Is there any power on the fuse ends with ignition on? Another indication is solenoids either ground on by bolting on a grounded metal frame or bu wire connected to it. Don't know which one you have?
    Thank you for your input.. very very helpful, I will try landing them on grould at worst case can only blow the fuse... my soenoid grounds through the mounting bracket.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solenoid wiring for a Murray Riding Mower [ 8 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to wire a 12HP 38" Cut Murray Riding Mower from the switch to the solenoid to the battery. I have one wire that attaches with a clip to a post on the solenoid and a yellow wire that goes to the switch or the seat cutoff and a large red wire with a smaller red wire attached...

Wiring schematic for old Lowe's lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

I am rebuilding an old Lowe's riding lawn mower that is approximately sixteen years old. I need to find a wiring schematic for that type of mower. Also, I have removed the mower deck so it can be used as a utility tractor and found there are a few safety switches that need to be bypassed. I have...

I need a wiring diagram for a older murry mower [ 3 Answers ]

I have replaced the battery , the solenoid , the key switch, the battery cable! Please help.

Muray mower wiring problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Murray mower date code 0184 with a 12.5 Briggs. I can't find any wiring schematics. The ignition switch was bad and the terminals were corroded. My son had removed the solenoid to use on another mower. I put it back but am not sure it's right. The yellow kill switch wire from the seat has...

View more questions Search