Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bullsbearspigs Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 03:29 PM
    interviewing with 2 DUI's - DWI's
    I am interviewing and going to the second phase next week. A background check is coming after the second interview. What's the best thing to do as far as disclosure and timing? The incidents were 3 years ago and 6 years ago, and are on a record that will show up on a background check. I plan on telling the HR people BEFORE I complete the application. Any thoughts or opinions, please don't make value judgements, I am SOBER now and have learned my lesson, thank GOD! Thank you for your ideas...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bullsbearspigs View Post
    i plan on telling the HR people BEFORE i complete the application. any thoughts or opinions
    Hello bulls:

If you have ANY hope of getting the job, you must be completely up front.

excon

May 1, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Thanks excon, do you know of any similar experiences?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bullsbearspigs View Post
    Thanks Excon, do you know of any similar experiences?
    Hello again, bulls:

Uhhhh, me! I don't have DWI's, but I sure got other stuff, and more of it.

I got jobs, first and foremost, because I was qualified and good at what I did. I also made sure that I interviewed with the guy who had hiring authority. That usually meant applying at small mom and pop type enterprises.

Once I made myself valuable to them, I told them about me, and let them decide. Not everybody wanted me. But, I couldn't work for everybody anyway.

excon

May 1, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Thanks Excon - I think that being upfront about past life mistakes is the answer. Sounds like you proved your competency and honesty and it worked. I am trying to figure out the best timing for disclosing the DUIs prior to a background check where they will turn up anyway.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2009, 08:01 AM

I would speak honestly to the HR people and say, "I want to be up front and disclose that I have two DUIs from my past, one three years ago and the other six years ago. I no longer drink and have celebrated three years of sobriety. "

Depending on the type of job, it may or may not be an issue, but I think you being up front about it is the best approach.

I don't know whether DUIs come up on criminal background checks or if not. It would be good to know because if they don't have to know about it at all, that would be best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can employers ask you about interviewing? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently went on an interview. My current supervisor directly asked me when if I had been on an interview. Then proceeded to "interrogate" me about it asking me the details of it. Can he/she do that? What is my recourse?

What questions do employers ask while interviewing [ 1 Answers ]

I just got out of school:eek: and looking for a/c jobs maybe just doing installs for now until I get more confedent but I just wanted an idea of what employers might ask while interviewing Thank you

Interviewing Fears [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in retail management for over 7yrs, I am now looking for a job and of course Going on interviews. I fear them so much, because I don't do a good job at articulating my Skills an abilities, I am confident in my abilities and feel I can manage any establishment. I feel that my lack of...

View more questions Search