Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

May 1, 2009, 02:32 PM
    2/4- Port KVM Switch. Brand? Location?
    I have two servers at home both are connected to my 42" T.V. I am tired of switching cables so I decided on getting a KVM Switch.

ANY IDEAS.

Rick
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 05:11 PM

There are lots of KVM switches out there. Most will work with most computer. I've used Belken, IOGear, etc. I had trouble with mouse emulation using Lenovo (formerly IBM) laptops. Unfortunately, I can't remember off the top of my head the brand that I got to fix that (it cost $500 and they guaranteed that it would work -- it did. I think it was made in the UK). You occasionally run into problems (usually mouse problems) with some computers and switches. You want a switch that will properly emulate the keyboard, video, and mouse when you are disconnected so you can boot up without being connected.

The one problem I have with most KVM switches is that most use only PS2 mice. I've heard that there are some new ones coming out that will also switch the USB ports, but I haven't used them.
    Slimgrady Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2009, 10:44 PM
    Hi ITstudent2006... I've tried both ps2 & usb kvm switches, And I have a preference toward the ps2 version... As for the usb version, one manufacturer who produces them is 'belkin'.. TAKE NOTE...... If you decide to go with the usb version, Both cordless mouse/keyboard or single feed..(one usb lead serving both mouse/keyboard) are TOTALLY incompatable !!
    I hope this helps you, :o SLIM :o

PS; Click on the link i've posted below to take you to a site with a varied selection of kvm's....

KVM Switches - 2, 4, 6, 8, 16 Port, Cables, Extenders, Accessories & Splitters - Misco.co.uk
    Networking Expert

May 2, 2009, 09:00 AM

Yeah... thanks guys.

My bro. has to Belkin Omiviews and h seems to be pretty happy with them. I figured I'd go that route. Although I only have two servers I figured the 4-port would be better for future expansion.

Thanks again guys!

Rick
    Networking Expert

May 2, 2009, 12:32 PM

Ok. I decided I don't need a KVM because...
    A) I am cheap :)
    B) One of the servers is a NAS Server which; after the initial install, doesn't have a need for a video source. Thus, no need to switch to it.

Thanks for helping though.

Rick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect a port on a remote switch to a secure segment on the local switch [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 Netvanta 1224R switches. On the main switch I have 3 Vlans setup. Vlan1 = main network (example IP 123.231.5.1) Vlan2 = Web Access (Example IP 69.115.851.202) Vlan3 = Secure segment (Example IP 123.231.8.1) On the remote switch I have 1 Vlan. Vlan1 = Main network (example IP...

Switch location [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me where to find the DIP switches on the Halsey ceiling fan Model UC-7040? I need to match the setting for the replacement remote.

Is it OK to switch from one brand of formula to another? [ 3 Answers ]

My baby eats similac isomil advance formula and I was thinking about switching him to nestle good start. It doesn't cost as much and I thought maybe it might help with him spitting up a lot to try a different brand. When we had his first doctors appointment 5 months ago they said it was OK to...

3 Way Switch Location & Stairs [ 1 Answers ]

There is a three way switch at the bottom of a 15 step staircase. I'm sure this location is okay. However, the other 3 way switch is located in a hallway at the top of the stairs approximately 4' to the left of the door. I looked at 210.70(A)(2)(c) and am wondering if this location is...

View more questions Search