Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krystal1991 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 09:58 AM
    I'm writing a book
    I want to write a book about what the world would be like if the continents reformed to one single continent. I have more than one question,
    First, Is there a way it could happen suddenly?
    Second, Could a bomb set off an earthquake?/ Is there anything that can set off an earthquake?
    Third, Would lifeforms on earth be the same species? or would it effect the order of evolution in some why?
    I have a lot more questions but the first two are my main concern for the book. If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I want to make this book as realistic as possible.
    Thank you,
    Krystal
    setexenv Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Aug 20, 2009, 11:08 AM

Answer to Q1: Continents move around very slowly (millimeters per year), but over huge amounts of time (hundreds of millions or billions of years), they can move around in a way that impacts climate, seal levels, and evolution. Don't look for the continents to reform Pangea anytime soon! Answer to Q2: Many things can cause earthquakes, but primarily earthquakes are caused by movements of the plates of the earth's crust (the things that continents move around on). It takes a vast amounts of energy to cause a substantial earthquake. However, smaller earthquakes (microseisms) can be caused by many things such as the piling up of sediments by the Mississippi River in the Gulf of Mexico, or the removal of groundwater from sediments causing the sediments to settle, or by the injection of materials into injection wells or into oil fields to remove hard to remove oil deposits. Question No. 3: I think someone who understands evolutionary biology should answer this question, but keep in mind that species with shorter lifespans evolve more quickly than species with longer lifespans (I think). Mutations resulting from exposure to radioactive materials are another story. Hope I've helped on the first 2 questions anyway.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 20, 2009, 11:31 AM

Q1: suddenly? Not a chance. Land moves too slowly to call it suddenly ^_^

Q2: I think bombs have caused earthquakes in the past. Building demolition, and other events that involve large structures or amounts of... stuff... being displaced, can cause localized earthquakes.

Q3: just imagine the competition! Animals that have never met each other before are suddenly living in the same place, eating the same food, and now have several times as many enemies to watch out for. It would be like setting a pride of lions loose on a buffalo herd. They have no natural defense against them. Pandas and koalas could end up competing for the same food source. It would be all out animal warfare and genocide.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 20, 2009, 11:35 AM

Oh yeah, and don't forget the inbreeding and crossbreeding. The killer bee was created by breeding a honey bee with an african bee, two species that would never have bred otherwise. Suddenly dingoes and wolves could breed. And lions and cougers. And the million and one species of mosquitoes. And zebras and wild mustangs. Entire new species would crop up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm writing a book [ 3 Answers ]

I want to write a book about what the world would be like if the continents reformed to one single continent. I have more than one question, First, Is there a way it could happen suddenly? Second, Could a bomb set off an earthquake?/ Is there anything that can set off an earthquake? Third,...

Writing a book using real names [ 1 Answers ]

Im writing abook about a true event. Can I get in trouble or sued for using real names?

Writing a book [ 4 Answers ]

So I'm writing a book I think, but its more of a diary form. It starts when I'm 11 and daddy leaves but I need a name for a character he's supposed to be my best friend who I love wholeheartedly at the age of 16 and he's amazingly perfect. Have any ideas? Oh and I also need to name an evil fish.

Writing My First Book [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am new at this, so please be patient. I am writing my first book, but I have been writing short stories and poems many years. I am 55 years of age. I am currenty writing a book about own experiences dealing with molestation by a neighbor, never telling anyone, the way I handled and survied...

Looking for the title of a movie about an actress who was writing a book. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, Im trying to remember the name of a movie I recall seeing in the late 80s I think! My memory of the movie is pretty scetchy, but it was about a house out the middle of no-where and the lady actress (who was quite old and scary looking) was writing a book. The house was a 2 storey house...

View more questions Search