Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manouche Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Briggs & Stratton cranks but does not start
    I have an MTD Yard Machine powered by a B&S 12.5 hp code 9311064E type 0154-01. The engine cranks slowly and in spurts approximating the four cycles. When I remove the spark plug the engine spins normally. I had the battery checked at a battery shop and it was pronounced fine after a load test. A lawn mower shop told me that it was not the battery. The battery itself looks like a motorcycle battery, six inches long, 3.5 inches wide, and 6.5 inches high. It is a Sears model 28-9617. The MTD manual gives a battery part number of 725-1635. A Google search only turned up a replacement battery for this, Rocket 31-7724. It was longer (eight inches) and stated the cranking amps at 275 (seemed like a lot to me). A motorcycle shop also told me that it was not the battery.
    My question is: What is wrong.
    Additional Information
    Cranking speed does not appreciably change with a jump start from a Wheel Horse with a known good battery - standard size.
    I changed battery cables from 8 gauge to 6. No change.
    I am thinking that if there is a compression release valve it is not doing its job but from the engine parts manual I cannot find the compression release valve.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2006, 10:24 PM
    Id have the starter tested next. OHV or flat head engine?

Sep 24, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Starter? Never really considered that. What's involved with a starter test? Is it on machine or bench test?

The engine is a flat head, run of the mill B&S. The label on the engine is I C, industrial commercial.
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2006, 01:07 AM
    Basically just taking it off and hooking it directly to a battery and making sure it turns over fast.. if you can measure the rpms (never had to myself) it should spin the engine over 300 rpms or more.
    bubbandmargie Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 06:56 PM
    You may also check the drag on the mower belts. If the mower is not releasing belt tension enough, it may turn over fine without compression, but bog down with the spark plug in.
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2006, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbandmargie
    You may also check the drag on the mower belts. If the mower is not releasing belt tension enough, it may turn over fine without compression, but bog down with the spark plug in.
    Yes that will produce a drag... but in most cases the starter is still strong enough to start the engine, with the trans in neutral but clutch not depressed...
    Even stron enough to start in gear, and deck engaged in some cases... but this is with safety switches removed...

Sep 27, 2006, 07:49 AM
    I pulled off the started and two things caught my eye. First the starter is not painted Briggs & Stratton red. It is bear metal. There was no B&S numbering or label on it. Since I brought the tractor from a private party my guess was that there had been starter problems previously and the guy put anything that fit on it.
    Second the bottom plate was deformed and cracked. It is some type of plastic. The armature turned but not smoothly. Bench test verified that the starter is not working the way it should.
    I have ordered a new B&S starter. It should be here by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the aid.
    rmeza0 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by manouche
    I have an MTD Yard Machine powered by a B&S 12.5 hp code 9311064E type 0154-01. The engine cranks slowly and in spurts approximating the four cycles. When I remove the spark plug the engine spins normally. I had the battery checked at a battery shop and it was pronounced fine after a load test. A lawn mower shop told me that it was not the battery. The battery itself looks like a motorcycle battery, six inches long, 3.5 inches wide, and 6.5 inches high. It is a Sears model 28-9617. The MTD manual gives a battery part number of 725-1635. A Google search only turned up a replacement battery for this, Rocket 31-7724. It was longer (eight inches) and stated the cranking amps at 275 (seemed like a lot to me). A motorcycle shop also told me that it was not the battery.
    My question is: What is wrong.
    Additional Information
    Cranking speed does not appreciably change with a jump start from a Wheel Horse with a known good battery - standard size.
    I changed battery cables from 8 gauge to 6. No change.
    I am thinking that if there is a compression release valve it is not doing its job but from the engine parts manual I cannot find the compression release valve.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Brig Stratton engine crank over but no spark in spark plug
    rmeza0 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeza0
    brig Stratton engine crank over but no spark in spark plug

Oct 20, 2006, 11:54 AM
    It has been about three weeks and the new starter with the old battery on the otherwise unaltered engine has started the engine every time it was asked.

Thank you for your help.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2006, 10:19 PM
    No problem... glad to help!
    spurlocksmallengine Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeza0 View Post
    brig Stratton engine crank over but no spark in spark plug
    Check gap in plug/ check magneto-points with an ammeter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12.5 briggs and stratton won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I'm rebuilding the engine on my murray, it's a 12.5 horsepower power built. I have a brand new starter and the solonoid was replaced about a year ago, but it just clicks when I turn the key, if I hook up the starter and try and turn it over the solonoid clicks multiple times rapidly then won't...

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

16 HP Briggs and Stratton won't Start [ 11 Answers ]

I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the...

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

Briggs&Stratton Billy Goat Pull Start broken [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, my billy goat pull start is stuffed. When I pull it it goes floppy and won't wind back onto the wheel. Its happened before but when I've taken the top plate off it wound back on and I hadn't had trouble with it, until now. Is there anything I can do ?:confused:

View more questions Search