Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dyno Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 04:42 AM
    Return Sign-on bonus
    Hi

My employer paid me a sign-on bonus of $5K two months ago when I joined them. The employment contract says that I should return the money if I choose to leave the company within a year. I have decided to leave the company for personal reasons.

My question is that I was paid only $3117.50 after taxes. I am willing to repay that amount. But the company says that I need to give them back the entire $5000. Let me know if that is normal? Do I need to consider the taxes withheld to be my loss? Is there any chance I get the difference?

Also my company said that I could claim relocation expenses up to $4000. But I did not claim any relocation expenses? Do I still need to pay them the $4000?

Please advise!

Thanks,
    DJ
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2006, 05:52 AM
    The difference between the 5,000 and the 3,117 is mostly related to federal and state taxes that the employer withheld and paid over to the government on your behalf. As a result, when you file your tax returns you will be able to claim these amounts as tax payments against your tax.

For example, if you owe no tax for the year, then the entire amounts that your employer withheld and paid to the government will be refunded to you when you file your tax return.

I am not sure, but you might even be able to get a refund of the social security/medicare taxes that were withheld. Without looking at your pay stubs it is impossible to tell if there were other amounts that you will not get back. Generally though, your employer is right that you should pay the full amount (or likely something close to it).

If your employer did not pay you for any relocation expenses, then you should not have to reimburse the employer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2006, 04:41 PM
    Good answers by IntlTax. I have nothing to add.
    petenwe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2013, 11:42 AM
    I wanted to know if I can add my lease when I summit my relocation claim to my employer
    petenwe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2013, 11:46 AM
    I wanted to know if I can add my lease when I submit my relocation claim to my employer
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 28, 2013, 12:08 PM
    That depends on your employer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign-on bonus taxes [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I started working in July 04 (was in college before then). I received a signon bonus from my company, before I started work. Hence, I was not taxed on it before starting. I was supposed to have been after I started working, but that never happened. So I know for this return I should be...

Sign-on bonus question [ 3 Answers ]

I had received a sign-on bonus last year, so it appeared as an income last year and I have paid taxes on it. As I did not complete one year with the company I had to return my sign-on bonus this year. How do I claim already paid taxes?

Another sign on bonus question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about a sign on bonus I just received in May. It was for 21,500 and after taxes I received approximately 12,800 dollars. I have been working for the company for a few months now, and now am moving out of the agreed area for my bonus to be effective. Is there any way...

Sign-on bonus - taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live and work in nyc and am considering taking a position with a company in New Jersey. They are offering me a sign-on bonus and I was curious what percentage I would need to pay in taxes and if that would be deducted up-front. Is a sign-on bonus treated the same as a "regular" bonus...

Returning a sign-on bonus [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I received a sign-on bonus of $15,000 in 2005 that was reported as income on my W-2. (actual amount received was $10,102.50 after taxes). I have recently left that job and need to return the sign-on bonus. My company wants me to return the $10,102.50 + $3,750 for federal taxes since my...

View more questions Search