Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joesephi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Eating a lot of grass, pants hard
    I have a golden retriever, 3yrs. who is 8lbs. Overweight, doesn't seem to have much energy. Eating a lot of grass and pants hard all the time. Travels with us a lot.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 09:09 AM

When was his last vet check?

Overweight dogs are prone to diebetes.

Eating grass indicates an upset stomach.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 1, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Sounds like overfeeding at first read. The grass is used to induce vomiting, as Shaz says, due to a tummy upset. A 3y.o. Golden should need about a cup and a half of (dry) food per day if they're not very active, like when traveling.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 06:43 PM

Consider getting his thyroid checked at his next vet visit.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 3, 2009, 02:18 PM

One symptom of thyroid disorder in dogs is dry flaky skin, it looks like dander but worse.

I agree that you should get him checked for this disorder as it can be treated by daily medication.

How often do you walk your dog? Is he lazy or just not excercised enough?

As for the grass eating, dogs are amazing. As Shaz and Catsmine said dogs eat grass to settle an upset tummy or to provoke vomitting because of something they ate.

Time for a vet visit. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog keeps gagging and eating grass [ 13 Answers ]

My 2 year old golden retriever keeps gagging as if he needs to vomit but never does. He also will not stop eating grass. I know they usually do this to vomit but he still hasn't vomited. Both problems started 2 days ago... anyone know what's wrong?

Dog eating grass [ 15 Answers ]

My pom has been eating grass & then vommitting & now he has a very bad cough like the grass cut his throat or something.

Eating Alot/ Periods [ 2 Answers ]

Hey... This is kind of late to ask since I have had my period for 4 years but, Is it normal to eat A lot on your period? Its ridiculous how much I eat the first 2 days I get my period. I dotn seem to put on weight when I have my period also, Why I do not know haha But, is it normal?...

Dog eating a lot of grass [ 11 Answers ]

I know all dogs will munch on grass, but mine seems to be chowing down on it like it's going out of style! The only thing that worries me is she's been having trouble pooping because there is so much grass! She manages to push it all out, but the consistency isn't right and I can SEE the grass in...

Pitbull eating grass [ 2 Answers ]

My 10 month old pit keeps eating grass from my backyard.. then pukes it out hours later.. and he barely eats his own food! Help please thanks

View more questions Search