Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dynamite_pearl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 10:22 PM
    Prove Pythagorean Identity and area of the triangle using diagram.
    Prove the Pythagorean Identity using a diagram? And also prove that Area of triangle = a^s sinC x sinB/ 2 Sin(B+C)?
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 12:11 AM

You do not need to go to TRIGONOMETRY to prove this.
    Simple arithmetic and algebra should do it.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

(3*3) + (4*4) = (5*5)

9 + 16 = 25.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 04:01 AM
    If you must do it geometrically, try using President Garfield's trapezoid method of proving the Pythagorean theorem.
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 1, 2009, 09:25 AM
    A mathematical proof requires starting with information which is known and accepted as truth and using only these facts, showing through a series of steps that the hypothesis is true. Picking numbers that work in the hypothesis equation to show one example of a calculation is not a mathematical proof. In fact, most mathematical proofs never are carried into a numerical solution since there would be an infinite number of numerical examples that are true. My old math prof, years ago said something to the effect of, "I don't care if you give me 100,000 examples that are true; that does not PROVE that someone else may find one example where it is not true."

The Garfield graphical solution suggested by Galactus is good and a recognized proof of the theorum. One thing that has always bugged me a little about it is that it requires that the formula for the area of a trapezoid is already in your start bag of truths.

For any student asking for help with proofs, it would be good to list the applicable knowns after the definition of the problem. This used to be required as part of the solution. If done properly it can lead you towards the solution. And, for others to help you, it provides a definition of your starting truths which can vary in the classroom based on what has previously been proven.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 06:18 PM

Zazonker,

In fact, most mathematical proofs never are carried into a numerical solution since there would be an infinite number of numerical examples that are true.

The more examples that are true, the BETTER.

The 3,4 and 5 combination is very well known.
    Do you know of any others ?
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 06:57 AM
    Just Google it.

Check this out.

Pythagorean Theorem
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 07:10 AM

galactus,

Please answer the question.
    It is of course obvious that any multiples
    Of 3,4 and 5 would qualify.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLCAM View Post
    galactus,

Please answer the question.
    It is of course obvious that any multiples
    of 3,4 and 5 would qualify.
    Do you mean are there more Pythagorean triples?

Of course, many more. Here's some:

(20, 21, 29), (11, 60, 61), (13, 84, 85), (5, 12, 13) , (12, 35, 37) , (16, 63, 65) ,(36, 77, 85)
    (8, 15, 17) ,(9, 40, 41) ,(33, 56, 65) ,(39, 80, 89),(7, 24, 25) ,(28, 45, 53) ,(48, 55, 73) ,
    (65, 72, 97)
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 08:03 AM

81 approaches to proving the Pythagorean theorem:

Pythagorean Theorem and its many proofs from Interactive Mathematics Miscellany and Puzzles
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 2, 2009, 08:34 AM

Rolcam. It's not about calculating at all. It's not arithmetic or algebra. Your first example, for example, "showed" that 3*3 + 4 *4 = 5*5. That is arithmetically true. But, it doesn't PROVE that three connected lines of lengths 3, 4 and 5 would even meet at all end points to form a triangle. The mere fact that we all know that they will, does not provide mathematical proof. -- I'm not trying to fight a war with you. I'm just concerned that you while you don't understand the concept, you are making very strong inapplicable statements. This under the heading of "Expert" can only confuse people who are struggling with understanding what a proof is.

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia. Please read it carefully. Notice that plugging numbers into the equation to get a bunch of examples is not part of the process.

In mathematics, a proof is a convincing demonstration (within the accepted standards of the field) that some mathematical statement is necessarily true. Proofs are obtained from deductive reasoning, rather than from inductive or empirical arguments. That is, a proof must demonstrate that a statement is true in all cases, without a single exception. An unproved proposition that is believed to be true is known as a conjecture.

The statement that is proved is often called a theorem. Once a theorem is proved, it can be used as the basis to prove further statements.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Why would give me a disagree when I was trying to help? I am not sure what you are after. There are proofs of the Pythagorean theorem all over the internet.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 09:09 AM
    Here is a proof I always liked using Differential Equations. I just remembered this one from way back. It can most likely be found on the web as well.

By noting how the change is a side changes the hypoteneuse.

Separate variables:

Integrate:

If a=0, then b=c.

So the constant is

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to find area of hexagon , when an triangle area inside it is given [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Pl help to find the area of hexagon , when equilateral triangle inside it touching the mid point of three sides is given . The area of triangle is 12 Sq.m

Calculating Area of Triangle When Given the Perimeter and Altitude [ 2 Answers ]

How do you calculate the length of the sides of an isoceles triangle when given a perimeter of 24 and altitude of 9?

How do I prove the following Trig Identity? [ 2 Answers ]

2 times secant squared theta = 1/(1-sin theta) + 1/(1+sin theta)

Pythagorean triples? [ 4 Answers ]

Never used this site so bear with me :D Ok a question from my schoolbook: Which of the following sets are Pythagorean triples? Im pretty sure I got the first three right but not sure how to do this one at all:

Pythagorean theorem [ 4 Answers ]

I am having trouble doing a word problem. I know I am supposed to use the pythagorean theorem but I just can't figure it out. Please help! The problem goes like this: A guy wire of length 50 feet is attched to the ground and to the top of an antenna. The height of the antenna is 10 feet larger...

View more questions Search