Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrboyle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 06:53 PM
    Craftsman 1000 riding mower doesn't go into gear
    I have a sears 1000 riding mower (purchased in 2001). It has been pretty faithful. I used it a week ago and this week after starting it, the gears don't engage. I can ut the lever into reverse, neutral or any of the forward gears but nothing happens. Has anyone had this happen? Do you know what the problem and solution might be?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 07:13 PM

Check the linkage between the handle you touch and the transaxle under the seat, one lost cotter pin can cause this to fail. Also, check the big pulley on the transaxle, if a key is broken it can spin freely.
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

May 1, 2009, 04:56 AM
    The belt could be broken or it has slipped off the back pulley. My Craftsman used to throw the belt all the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman LT 1000 mower model 917-271652 what year sold? [ 3 Answers ]

What year model is our Craftman riding mower, LT 1000, model number 917-271652? Thanks, Joe

Huskee riding mower won't go into gear [ 3 Answers ]

I've had a Huskee LT4200 riding mower for several years with no problems; runs like a top until... Yesterday I idled the mower to empty the grass catcher but then couldn't get the mower to move. When I engage the transmission catch (in lower back) in order to push it to the garage to look at it,...

Riding Lawn mower jerks on take off when put in gear [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 16 HP riding mower. When I put in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear and let the clutch out slowly, it jerks to the extent that it nears throws you off the mower. I have checked the idler pulley & it seems to be working OK. Reverse seems to work just fine. Could you help me with this...

Craftsman 14.5 42 inch riding lawn mower gear sector [ 2 Answers ]

How do you replace the gear sector22 teeth on craftsman riding lawn mower?

View more questions Search