Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nessa317 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Am I legally enititled to reimbursement from a collection agency?
    In February, 2006 my husband and I took temporary custody of his younger brother while their mom was incarcerated. Soon after, we noticed he had severe sleep apnea and took him to a doctor to see what could be done. We ended up renting a respiratory machine from February up until June and were told his Medicaid would cover the costs. This year, we ran our credit hoping to buy a house and saw an outstanding bill from the respiratory machine provider had been sent to collections. We immediately called the collection agency and were told they were ready to take us to court unless it was paid. We explained that the child was covered by Medicaid at the time and, therefore, it didn't make sense that we were being billed. The agent said that if we paid it off right then, we would avoid going to court and once we provided proof of coverage at the time, we would get reimbursed. So we paid off the balance of $900 with our tax return and got to work on obtaining proof of his Medicaid coverage. We were finally sent the verification and were ready to take it to the collection agency's office but when we called the agent, he said it was Medicaid that would have to reimburse us. We called Medicaid who said they don't do that and it is the COLLECTION agency's job. We are so confused and feel like we somehow got screwed over. Is there any way to get our money back- any law protecting us from what this collection agency did? I keep hearing a collection agency CANNOT collect money from someone who can provide proof of coverage, but did the agent find a loop hole in telling us to pay it off and get reimbursed later? Please help! We live in Colorado if that means anything...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nessa317 View Post
    but did the agent find a loop hole in telling us to go ahead and pay it off and get reimbursed later? Please help! We live in Colorado if that means anything...
    Hello n:

It really wasn't a loophole. They just played you. You didn't have to pay first. Oh, I understand why you did. You believed them. That was your first mistake. I'll bet you didn't get their promise to reimburse you in writing either...

That's OK. You didn't know. They screwed you, but that's what collection agencies do. I'd sue them. They probably have a registered corporate agent in your state, and that's who I'd sue.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 06:24 PM

The collection company lied to you, they do that to collect money, they scared you to get you to pay, what you should have done was to say, great sue me, I don't owe it.

Then you go to medicaid and find out why they did not pay and get them to pay.

You need to get medicaid to pay, if they were suppose to, then you can approach the medical company about repayment for being paid twice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legally, can the collection agency do this? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was sent a notice from a collection agency on the 11th of September about a total amount of $282.07 from an outstanding dental debt plus an amount of $35.24 in interest from the collection agency being due. I called them (the collection agency) to pay the full amount of $317.31 on Dec...

Collection Agency [ 7 Answers ]

I received a phone call from a collection agency at work and he advise me that he is going to serve me with a summon and that he needed my home address so he can bring a sheriff with him to serve me. After speaking to him for a few minutes, I ask him to send me something to proof that this debt is...

Collection Agency [ 16 Answers ]

I am in Alberta, Canada and my question is: Can a collection agency legally come after you if the alleged amount owing has never been disclosed to you, neither orally or on paper by the person who put the account with the collection agency? I have never received a bill or invoice from this...

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

View more questions Search