Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Twmac Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 06:38 PM
    Xp freezes after boot up
    Hi , My questionis when I turn on PC Windows XP Home edition boots up fine , then when it opens to the desk top it looks fine , but when I click on an Icon to start a program it starts to work then it opens part of the program then freezes up and then nothing I click on the desk top works. Any suggestions thank you In advance. Ted
    jay c Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2006, 02:40 PM
    If even your mouse doesn't respond, then I think you probably have a hardware problem. There's something wrong with the CPU, RAM, or maybe even the video adapter.

If the mouse still moves around your screen, but nothing responds, go to the Task Manager (hold the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete buttons down at the same time) and see if any of your processes are taking up a large amount of the CPU. You'll see this info in the CPU column of the Processes tab, and it is expressed as a percentage. You can sort by clicking on the label at the top of the CPU column. If anything is taking up 70%+ of your CPU, then it's the likely culprit. Note the process name then click on it and click the End Process button to kill it. After that, find out what that process was and see if it's something you can uninstall, reinstall, or disable.

Also make sure that your anti-virus is up to date and running.
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Oct 13, 2006, 10:01 PM
    Is it just one program or all the programs on the desktop?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Web cam freezes [ 2 Answers ]

undefined Hello, I have been having trouble with my web cam, it seems to freeze a lot. Any suggestions? I have re-installed it several times. It is a Logi-tech Quick Cam. -- thanks Lydia

Central AC freezes up [ 1 Answers ]

My Central AC freezes up after running for a couple of hours. Ice forms on the evaporator coils. Thermostat is set a 75. Thanks for any help.

Computer is freezing [ 2 Answers ]

well I'm having the problem that my computer continuosly is freezing. So I read that may be for some spy or other things my computer would have, so I downloaded hijackthis and did a scan but I don't know what should I do this is the hijackthis log Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2 Scan saved at...

Computer Freezes [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please help me?  I have an E-Machine AMD Duron 800Mhz computer with 768 RAM.  I have been having a lot of problems with my computer for the past year.  Whenever I am using it, either on the web, printing something or just using a program, the computer just freezes.  I have done all the...

Win 98 freezes during startup [ 6 Answers ]

My 3-year-old HP Pavilion 6635 is running Win 98. In the middle of the startup process, it freezes. When I look at the task manager, only three programs are listed instead of the usual 8 or 10. Trying to start in Safe mode gets the same results. I tried walking through the bootup process,...

View more questions Search