Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caraloca Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2003, 11:05 AM
    Can't format HD to install win xp
    Hi.
    I have a WESTERN DIGITAL 80GB 7200 8MB CACHE HARD DRIVE.
    I had win xp pro on it but I deleted using the WIn xp cd it because I want to install it again. Right now I have no OS. I have only one big partition of the whole HD ( Also I saw that it said besides the "C" NEW and RAW. When I am trying to instal win xp. What is that?)
    So when I put my win xp cd to install it again,it can not format the hard drive, it goes up to 99% and then it said that "it can not format the hard drive, maybe is damaged or to check if is plugged properly".
    I know is not damage because is brand new and I only used it for 2 days with win xp and I know is properly connected because I was using it.
    (I do not know if is help but I uninstalled win xp because I got a virus that my antivirus colud not remove, so as I did not have anything important to save I decided that I better instal win xp again).
    What should I do to solve my problem? If possible step by step please.
    Thank you
    Munchkin Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2003, 10:20 PM
    Re: can't format HD to install win xp
    1) Boot from boot disk
    2) run FDISK and delete all partitions
    3) Create one large partition using FAT32
    4) reboot
    5) Run format c:
    6) reboot with CD-ROM driver and install Windows

If this fails, try using a program that totally cleans your hard drive such as CleanDrive or WipeDrive. If a virus got to your boot sector, this should certainly get rid of it. After running the app that totally cleans your drive then start over at step one above.

Hope this helps.

Nov 29, 2003, 06:45 AM
    Hi, I already did it and is fine, now my problem is that I want to do a partition using partition magic8 but I can't. I get an error 983 too many errors.
    I went to PM8 site and they recommend to run a chkdsk /f in a DOS prompt but it did not work.
    Anyway, thank you for your help.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 22, 2003, 12:08 PM
    warning: the following will write zeros to your hard drive, deleting everything that is there. everything. if you have an oem computer and they put some hidden partition onto the drive, that will be killed as well. Bad things could happen. Just a disclaimer. :);D:):):);D;D:)

Get yourself a linux boot floppy. Do

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
    Now it will take a long time to run, so actually just let it run for about two minutes and then hit Ctrl+C. That'll be enough.

Now boot again with your dos floppy. Now try Munchkin's instructions again. :)

~psi42
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Mar 23, 2004, 11:29 PM
    The only tip that I can give you is not exactly specific to your question but... in my experience, there has never been a virus that could not be irraticated.
    Formatting and reloading your operating system should never even be a solution for virus removal. There is ALWAYS an alternative to virus removal. You just have to search for it or know where to find it. Never let a computer repair shop tell you that deleting all your data is the only way to rid your computer of a virus. Anyone who tells you that is either inexperienced or just plain lazy. Just FYI

Mar 24, 2004, 04:22 AM
    Thank you for your advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Format? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way in MS Word to merge several different articles & have them all the same length? Instead of: This is just an example! This is just an example!

Antivirus In Zip Format [ 6 Answers ]

Please tell me about download site having all good antivirus in zip format for download.

Format [ 6 Answers ]

Please give me advise, how can I format hardisk. Is there a website offering a free tool for formatting disk. Thank you!

Format difference [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference between a FAT32 and a NTFS hard drive? Advantages and disadvantages if any. I have 2 external hard drives - on each Thanks - George :confused:

Need abc help to format hard drive [ 15 Answers ]

My PC will not start windows. I have had my PC checked and the verdict is format the hard drive. My ops is windows xp Any advice to get me started would be appreciated

View more questions Search