Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ihatemice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Are exterminators safe for pets? I have a little dog
    Hi, I have a mouse problem in my apartment, they're everywhere!

I've found their nest, put out about 40 sticky traps, closed all tiny sized holes, sprayed peppermint oil and even some ammonia on floor trim and where they hang out the most. (threw away my 2 couches and a clothes chest because they nested in there) Most of them got caught but not all so my next step is to use an exterminator but I have a tiny curious yorkie and am really hesitant since I don't want whatever they use to harm him.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

Apr 30, 2009, 04:09 PM

You don't want to use any poison if you have a dog. If the dog gets ahold of a dead mouse that had ingested poison it could kill the dog. I'd stick with traps. I wonder if moth balls would help keep the mice away... Good luck!
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

Apr 30, 2009, 04:17 PM

You can always let the dog stay with a friend or something while you bring in the exterminator until you get everything cleared.

Mice are such buggers to get rid of..
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Mothballs are much more dangerous than any rat poison. Breathing the vapors can cause kidney failure, particularly in a small animal.

Secondary toxicity (poisonous carcasses) has been reduced to a negligible risk in the past decade. You can't buy the strychnine your grandpa put out in the barn anymore.

Professional exterminators are required to put any poisons in bait stations that are placed where the mice run and the dog doesn't. If they don't, they are subject to arrest and liable for up to 5 years in prison, not to mention lawsuits.

To answer the question in your heading, exterminators are safer for your pets than trying to do it yourself.

Yes, I am one. Forgive my defensiveness.

Sticky traps may have gotten dusty if they've been out for a week or more, so maybe just changing them can catch the remainder. The mice may also have figured out the traps, so you might try a different kind, such as the catchmaster or tin cat that you can get at some Lowe's or at Tractor Supply. I don't think you want to try snap traps if the pup is as nosy as you say.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 30, 2009, 04:48 PM

If you want them gone then you need to use extreme measures. You need to have family take your dog. The source of your problem needs to be hit and that's the nesting area.
    NO Rats & Mice Bait and Tracking Powder - Kiwicare
    exterminators has similar powder, they track through it and carry it back to their nest. They eat it/clean themselves and thats that.
    Keep using sticky mouse traps and use a small amount of peanutbutter [less than half the size of a dime], they can resist it.

Don't do it yourself let a professional do it for you to ensure safety for yourself and your pets.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 07:34 PM

Just put mouse traps where the dog can't reach them like under couches and behind book shelves along a wall. Mice =love to run in narrow spaces like between a book shelf and the wall, give them something to walk over. I have never seen a house that needed an exterminator for mice, unless the owner just isn't willing to dio some work. Mice are little buggers but dumb buggers, they will eat most anything if hungary enough so give them a smal piece of cheese with peanut butter on it,snap @#%&%$#
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

Apr 30, 2009, 07:49 PM

Or if you don't want to do anything with chemicals you can just chase the little devils with a fork.

Yum. Mice stew..

Just kidding. I agree ballengerb on that. They will never be able to stay away from that stuff.
    ihatemice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 12:39 PM

Thanks everyone!

I just wasn't sure if I have to find a "pet safe" exterminator or if regulars have pet safe tactics when told about pets. Don't want to find out when its too late but I'm definatley taking him out of the apt for a few days afterwards.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

May 1, 2009, 02:27 PM

Back in 1997 this was the method of choice for me after a baby rat ran up my pant leg while laying on the couch at my friends house.
    And yes I had lots of fun, those little @#$%*&!!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 02:54 PM
    My guy left poison that was in green chunks in our shed where we were having a rat problem. The shed is locked and the dogs don't go in there EVER. One day I saw my baby poodle playing with something in the yard and I went out to investigate. He was playing catch with himself and a piece of the green poison. I rushed him to the vet and my 'bug guy' met me there with all his spec sheets on the poison. He even offered to pay for the bill, which we refused.
    I believe they are very dedicated people and take all the precautions possible if they know the situation.
    We believe that one of the rats carried it out of the shed before dying. (or my husband dragged it out stuck to the lawn mower.)
    My puppy was just fine (after empting his stomach) found he never ate anything, just played with it.
    I guess my point is they know what they are doing, if you need their help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Liposuction,safe or not safe in my country? [ 1 Answers ]

hello everyone, my name is queen, I'm 25yrs old,and I'm a nigerian. I'm considering a lipo and I'm a little apprehensive about it. Its going to be for my arms and tommy. There's a popular beautician in my country(modupe ozolua),she flies in surgeons from America to perform various surgeries. I...

CA - No Pets Law [ 1 Answers ]

I have been doing research online and I noticed in NY, that if a tenant has a pet for longer than 3 months and the landlord is aware of it and the landlord does not enforce the "no pets" terms of the lease than the tenant can keep the pet for the length of their tenancy. In the state of California...

T safe Coil and thrush? T safe problems? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:I had c t safe coil fitted back in may. I have had thrush since, anyone evr had thise from the tsafe?? Please let me know of any other problems you have had with this device?? :confused:

Bug-off exterminators project, challenging [ 1 Answers ]

Bug-Off Exterminators provides pest control services and sells extermination products manufacture by other companies. The following table contains the company’s unadjusted trial balance as of December 31, 2005, the end of the company fiscal year. BUG-OFF EXTERMINATORS - December 31, 2005...

View more questions Search