Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kory12 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 10:17 AM
    Diabetes and ssi
    My son is 3 years old.We applied for ss and was turned down because he wasn't in the hospital since he was diagnosed. He gets up to 8 shots a day and can't play as a normal child because he also has hypoglycemia and must be checked often.He meets list for ssi with the low blood sugar and the welfare department has him on the disabled child's list.If the state department can say he is disabled and meets list,why can't the government give him ssi
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 11:07 AM

Reapply. It is common knowledge most people are turned down the first time you apply. Reapply with the help of a ssi attorney.

May 1, 2009, 11:35 AM

I have appealed the case .I did have an attorney at the hearing and she said the same thing... he has to rule on the fact that he met list.We got the papers saying his decision was unfavorable.He went on to say his growth and learning is fine so no need for ssi. Hell, we even need a daycare with a nurse so he can be monitored .Even with alll that they say he is not dissabled
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 12:51 PM

You need to keep appealing.
    If you let it lapse then they do not give you back pay from the first time you applied.
    As long as you keep it opened by reapplying they will go back to the original date you applied.
    You need to get a lawyer to get it if you were denied.
    Talk to a social worker about programs he might be eligible for. If he gets enrolled in those they might take it more serious.

My son is blind in one eye and had growth problems due to a lazy thyroid. It took a couple times but I got it for him.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 01:02 PM

As No Help said above you need to keep reapplying. If your original attorney won't reapply for you, get another attorney to do this. I once worked for a Disability Attorney and it was quite common to be turned down the first time you apply. And to be turned down several times before you are approved is more the norm with the Disability people. Don't get discouraged as that's exactly what they want you to do. They want you to "just go away and stop bothering them" is more the norm with them. Persistence will win out but it just might take years and years to accomplish.

Right now your son is still young and a lot can happen so just keep reapplying.
    Survivor07 Posts: 380, Reputation: 143

May 9, 2009, 06:15 PM

I was told that diabetics cannot apply for SSI unless they are diagnosed with the complications that diabetes may cause such as kidney disease, heart disease, loss of limbs and loss of sight, etc.

Having diabetes is not a disability. It is definitely a pain in the a**, but far from a disability.

Those complications should be and can be avoided if the blood sugar is controlled. It's hard work but most certainly can be done.

My daughter was diagnosed with Diabetes Type I or Juvenile Diabetes when she was two years old.

She does qualify under the Children With Disabilities Act, which means I get help with her supplies. Whatever my health insurance doesn't cover, then this benefit kicks in.

I imagine that the SSI standards are what they are because just think if every kid or person in the U.S. with diabetes collected a check!! It is, sadly, a very common disease.

I'm a single parent who works full time, and she started daycare when she was 3. She is 5 now and doing very well, has never been hospitalized since she was diagnosed.

The daycare checks her blood sugar and we work together with the diet, exercise and carb intake, so she doesn't need a shot until I pick her up.

She too is getting up to 7 shots a day. She has her blood sugar checked many times a day, sometimes ten times. She can even do it herself.

She has highs and lows, but is considered under control. She plays and has fun like any other child without diabetes, always has. Most people don't even know she is diabetic.

I actually do not consider my daughter disabled at all. She has a much bigger challenge in staying healthy, true. But it's important to me that SHE doesn't think she is disabled and I NEVER want to hear her say that she can't do something because she has diabetes because that is completely false.

I'm just curious to know if you do get the SSI benefit for your child.

Hang in there. I KNOW how hard it is.

Jul 27, 2009, 05:56 AM

Thanks for answering all. Survivor,thanks for the support.Mason has only been in the hospital one time and that's when he was diagnosed.Our daycare won't give shots or check blood sugar,the state won't allow it.Masons blood sugar is on target only 15% of the time .He is either high or low.He gets exercise and we watch his carbs but his growing spurts cause that.The only part I don't agree on with you is the disability issue .I feel diabetics are disabled to to the fact they can't function as well as other children.Mason needs to be checked every hour when playing and must have a nurse at daycare at all times here in pa.Our bills have doubled as to food and pull ups because of his special diet and he pees so much.he poops on the pot but the peeing is so often he just goes without even knowing.We make good money but its hard and we asked for help and they refuse us.I don't want to give him a label and we take great care of him but we do need help.I see others get it for Adhd and even a broken shoulder from when they were born (thats no lie) and when a person truly needs help its no! Thanks for hearing my rant

Jul 27, 2009, 06:00 AM

Also if u don't mind me asking ,what type of no carb or low carb diet do you use at school for her .We have tried no carb but he got burnt out on eggs and he doesn't favor meats to well just yet.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 06:08 AM

Atkins and South Beach are low carb diets.
    Greek food has a lot of low carb recipes
    You can try typing low carb recipes in the search engine.
    Here are a couple sites I came up with
    Low Carb Diets at About.com - Atkins South Beach and More Low Carb Diets

Low Carb Luxury: Recipes

Low-Carb Recipes
    Survivor07 Posts: 380, Reputation: 143

Jul 27, 2009, 03:42 PM

Hi Kory12, you're welcome for the support and I know you need as much as you can get.

I also live in PA by the way and my daughter's daycare does check her blood sugar and are willing to give the shots. I had to get a lot of paperwork signed, etc. I also had to let go of my fear and trust them, which I do. However, I never let them forget how important it is to watch her for any signs of a low. So far, so good. They take great care of her and now she checks herself all the time and they just supervise.

My daughter was also in the hospital when she was diagnosed. Five days. I was absolutely petrified to take her home. I had no idea what I was doing. I called those five days a college education without the beer. It now seems like a hundred years ago. She's hasn't been back since.

I really do sympathize with you. The growth spurts, the activity, the snacking---all normal things, make the numbers crazy.

Just try to remember that it's just a number and it will be high and low and in between all day and night, every day. In my opinion there is no real control with a child as young as ours. To me, it's the same as keeping a feather blowing in the air, not too high that it blows away and not so low that it reaches the ground. Sounds exhausting, huh? Well, you know that's what it's like being a parent of a diabetic child--exhausting!

It's traumatizing for everyone in the family. I had to really adjust my attitude from "this is the end of the world" to "okay, this is the way it is, I'm going to make the best of it." It took years.

As far as diabetics not being able to function as well as other kids, that really is not the case. It just seems like that. It definitely takes more planning and care, but a diabetic child can play sports just like any other child without diabetes. It's all in the knowing how your child's body reacts to different things such as heat, prolonged activity, foods, etc. It takes time and a watchful eye. Many star athletes in this country are Type I diabetics and have been since their young childhood. (I've read a lot about people like that to make me feel better.) My daughter is in gymnastics. It was hard going at first. She was low so then we gave her a snack first and then she was high... you know. We seem to be doing all right now. Besides, she now knows how she feels and why and knows what she needs. That's because from 2 yrs old on when she was low, I would tell her "you're low" How do you feel, etc. Just like you repeat everything else to a toddler, I repeated "diabetic stuff" so it would get into her head.

Eventually your child will know when he's going low and get a snack. He'll even be able to check himself and learn what the numbers mean. Discipline is involved, too, to teach the child not to eat what they shouldn't, when they shouldn't. My daughter enjoys chocolate and cake and ice cream every once in a while, too. I have taught her that she can only have a little and I do the same. I've lost almost 30 pounds since she was diagnosed because I eat healthier than I ever did. It certainly was not easy and I thought I would NEVER be able to do this--counting carbs, measuring insulin, etc. I nearly broke down. I've come a long way. I'm still learning and I still get frustrated often when the numbers aren't "right" or she sneaks a snack without telling me. But I'm learning that it is what it is. All I can do is take care of her and teach her to take care of herself.

My daughter pees a lot too. When their sugars are high, that's the way the body tries to get rid of it, but it can dehydrate them. When she is high, I give her lots of water and fix it with yet another shot of insulin and we exercise together.

I agree there should be financial help with daycare. I don't get any either, but I need the daycare because I can't just leave my daughter with anyone. My family is not available because they work the same hours I do. My ex-husband doesn't want bothered with it. Friends and neighbors are scared to watch her. I can barely make it right now and am thinking of selling my house and moving in with my parents for a while... I soooo don't want to do that, though.

Back to your question, I would never recommend a "no" carb diet because they need carbs for energy and plus there is insulin in their system from their shot and without the carbs, they will be low and crash.

I wish I had a magic answer for the diet, but I know exactly what you're dealing with. It is so very hard to get a three year old to eat healthy but it can be done. If they are hungry, they will eat what's in front of them. I did the eggs and tried all kinds of meats. Cheese eventually worked. I was lucky she liked vegetables. She would sit and eat green pepper and celery when she was three for a snack if her sugar was on the high side. I think she liked the crunch. I also tried to really limit her taste for sweets so that she wouldn't know what she was missing. I gave her cut-up apples for a treat and she loved them and still does today. She loves to sit and eat a whole apple, skin and all. It's only 10 grams of carbs. Right now my daughter loves chicken wraps. I make them at home--a whole wheat tortilla wrap with grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, cheese and onion. That's about 15 grams of carbs right there. When she was three she would have probably thrown it on the floor, but she's six now and eats what I give her most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from being a health nut. My diet is very different than what it used to be. I didn't even know what a carb really was before she was diagnosed.

Just do the best you can which I know you are. Keep this in mind to get you through because it's the truth: IT WILL GET BETTER!! This is so hard right now because he is so young. You are acting as his pancreas let alone his parents who love him. It's emotionally and physically draining but you can and will do it because you love him. He will be fine because he will have grown up not knowing any other way.
    abbysmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 4, 2009, 09:47 PM
    I have 2 yr old daughter that was just diagnosed with type 1 diabieties and i now stay home with her to take care of her i am from mo and the daycares here will not do the shots and blood sugar testing. And my daughter is either high or low we have the low problems i have to check her every 2 hrs in the middle of the night... it is like starting over with a new born baby.. packing a bag and a cooler when you go places and its really hard for us my daughter is a very very picky eater and some days it is a fight just to get her to eat. She takes the shots and getting her sugar checked like its no big deal but some days are tough and she calls me a mean mom.. she got really sick before she was diagnosed and turned into a really big mommies girl and since im a now home with her all day she totally depends on me and only wants me to check her sugar and give her a shot and my husband does a excellent job doing it if she would let him but it seems like we never stop through out the day there is wake up - check sugar - breakfest - shot - snack - check sugar - lunch time - shot - snack - sugar chek - snack - sugar check - dinner - shot - sugar check - snack - shot - and sugar check trough out the night every 2 hours.. some days i just want to cry and scream i hate that my child has to have diabieties but the fact is she can live with it and be healthy as long as we maintain it but if you sit back and look things could be a lot worse and our kids could have a lot worse to live with... but it is very hard she had now been diagnosed for 3 months and for her being a little of two she will ask does that have sugar in it she will ask me if she can eat something even if her daddy or nanna offers it to her . She knows that she will get a belly ache if she eats to many sweets its crazy but when she is low she will come to me and tell me her head hurts or her tummy hurts for her to be so young she has adappted really really great.. i think that it is harder on us parents more than the child sometimes but i just try to keep my head up and stay strong and think that she is going to be ok now that we know what is wrong.. but i would love to hear some ways to get my picky eater to eat.. and if you feel like you can't trust someone to take care of your child then i agrree don't leave them brcause i am the same way i am lucky that i can stay home with my daughter but i really don't have a choice with were we live there are very few daycares and they just don't want the responsibiliyt and i feel if they don't want to do it they don't need to watch her.. even if she runs or plays too much or even gets excited her sugar will drop so quick but it is scary for a parent we actually just were in the hospital for the 1st time after being daignosed last week she got the flu and her sugar was in the 400 and 500s and had large keytones its like starting right from the beginning but she is doing so much better.. i think that this is so great that there are other parnet tht think some of the same things..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

What are the best signs to determine whether you have diabetes? It runs in my family and I don't know what symptoms to be looking out for to determine if I do. I am worried that someday I'm going to end up in the hospital because I was unaware of the possibility that I may have diabetes. What...

He Has Diabetes. [ 1 Answers ]

I've known very few people with diabetes so I did not know much about it. My boyfriend has diabetes and I still have confusion on this disorder. I worry about him a lot since he does wrestling and he often has to cut weight. He tries not to eat so much because of it which I understand can be...

Pre diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

I just found out that I have pre diabetes what can I do to prevent the real diabetes? What can and cannot eat? Or any other tips

Pre diabetes [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out I have pre diabetes. What is this? And what I can I do for this? What foods can I or cannot eat?:confused:

Diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

My father has diabetes and wants some home made fudge... I make the fantasy fudge by kraft and have all the ingredients I have exchanged the sugar for splenda, I found some sugar free marshmallow dip (hope it works:o ) the only thing that Im not sure is instead of the semi sweet chocolate chips I...

View more questions Search