Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Apr 30, 2009, 09:51 AM
    "It's not me, I inherited it."
    "Number one, we inherited a $1.3 trillion deficit.... That wasn't me. Number two, there is almost uniform consensus among economists that in the middle of the biggest crisis, financial crisis, since the Great Depression, we had to take extraordinary steps. So you've got a lot of Republican economists who agree that we had to do a stimulus package and we had to do something about the banks. Those are one-time charges, and they're big, and they'll make our deficits go up over the next two years."

---Barack Obama, 4/29/09
    Obama continues to blame the current financial crisis on the Bush administration, despite completing his first 100 days in office.

And here I thought that after 100 days we were supposed to be able to judge Obama on his own merits.

Well, never mind that. We can discuss that little factoid at some other point.

My point is that Barack Obama is not quite as guiltless in the creation of this financial crisis as he would like us to believe.

Over the two-year period BEFORE Obama took office, Congress was under Democrat control. And Obama was a member of that Senate. He and his Democrat cronies voted on that Deficit budget and passed it. Last I heard, Congress, not the President, controls the purse strings in our government. Barack not only supported Bush's bailout package, he wanted it to be larger. So he is directly responsible for his vote on the deficit spending he "inherited".

Also, for all that he claims to have voted against the war in Iraq, except in one case, he voted FOR Iraq war spending. Again, he is directly responsible for that spending.

And keep in mind that his solution to this deficit is to increase the deficit fourfold with his various spending bills, in the name of "one time spending" designed to stimulate the economy. Of course much of it isn't one-time spending. Does anyone truly believe that S-CHIP will decrease its spending next year? Or his education spending? Or health care? Or any of the other programs he increased funding for?

Obama didn't "inherit" the problem. He had a large hand in CREATING the problem, and he is merely making the problem BIGGER as time goes on.

The "Blame Bush" strategy can only work for so long. At some point the responsibility for what happens next fall on HIS shoulders, not Bush's. Time's a-runnin' out for Obama's current stratagy.

Elliot
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 10:06 AM
    As I recall ,he was in favor of even greater spending than he voted for as Senator . And given that strange line of bovine excrement ;why would he then come into office and massively increase the very things he is trying to distance himself from?
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Apr 30, 2009, 03:09 PM

Obama shows remarkable leadership qualities when he points to the past and Bush.
    Sarcasm intended!

He tells the American people of sacrifice and hard work and spreading the wealth, but he can't accept resposibility for his part?

When things were really heading south in Semptember, surely he realized that the upcoming economic "catastrophe" would be the responsibility for the next president?

If he felt this was "above my paygrade," why did he not just quit?

G&P
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Apr 30, 2009, 03:33 PM

I believe that too many people are still viewing him as a novelty and not looking at what's actually going on. I agree, he can only blame Bush and ride the media train for so long.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

View more questions Search