Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 07:17 AM

No probem, if it has a jumper wire. Anouther thing you can do while you have the t-stat off the wall is to jump from r to y and see if it runs this will tell you if it is still a t-stat problem or if it is some where else.
    ballbrat1622 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 11:47 AM

Ok, I did go to see if it had the jumper, it did not, so I placed a jumper in, still nothing out at the unit. I can push the contactor in and the fan outside will kick on. I forgot to check about the R-Y and seeing if the unit would run, what other T-stat checks can be done. There is resistance at the capacitor and voltage at the contactor.
    oatmail Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    ok then is sounds like it is a t-stat problem then. if neither the indoor or out work.
    I totally agree here. I just want to add that the jumper he is talking about is from Rh to Rc, a typo I'm sure. This is very common with stat replacements.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 9, 2009, 12:48 PM

As stated in above posts, your problem is not at the outdoor unit. Forget about the outdoor unit for now. The problem occurred when new stat was installed. Double check to make sure there is a jumper between rh, and rc. Then if this doesn't work, do the rh to why jump and see if indoor blower comes on. This is most important at this point. Don't worry about the outdoor unit for now. Do your test and see if indoor blower comes on, if it doesn't come on, then neither will the outdoor unit. IF jumping rh to why at stat doesn't work, then go to the inside unit and jump are to why at the control board on furnace, let us know what you find and we will help you get this thing licked. Good luck and hope to hear from you soon.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2009, 01:46 PM
    Why do so many D.I.Y. thermostat replacements go wrong? :confused:

May 11, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Ok sounds good, I will check, the problem I have it that the furnace worked for 4 months since I changed the T-Stat. However once I put the jumper wire in, the furnace didn't kick on either?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2009, 03:24 PM

Does anything work on the furnace now? May have blown a 3amp fuse. Its just hard sometimes for us to help fix a problem when we can't see the things you are doing. Just do one thing at a time and let us know. Start by jumping r to y at furnace control board. Also let us know if blower on furnace kicks on when thermostat is set to fan on.
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 03:55 PM

Did you turn the power off while installing the jumper??

May 14, 2009, 10:57 AM
    I did NOT turn the power off as it was simply adding a jumper, did I possibly fry the circuit board or something to that T-Stat? Because the Furnace had worked before.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 04:50 PM

Check the contol board for a small 3 amp car type fuse

May 17, 2009, 05:35 PM
    OK, where might that control board be located? On or near the furnace?
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 07:22 PM

Bottom door of the furnace.

May 20, 2009, 07:28 PM
    OK, Replaced T-Stat, looked for the fuse on the Circuit board and could not find one? The unit is a Trane TUE060A936K3.

HELP!

Nothing kicks on, you can hear the T-Stat Click to activate either one and nothing.

Before installing the jumper wire the Furnace worked, after nothing works (did not shut power off when installing jumper wire, of course there were sparks) all circuits in main circuit breaker are on and good.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

May 23, 2009, 07:18 AM
    If the power supply to the furnace has been on for some time, the transformer should feel warm to the touch. Turn power off before checking. If it's cool, uh-oh... something is wired wrong or shorted and burned the transformer.

May 23, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Ok, and this transformer you speak of is there on the circuit board? I take it this particular circuit board does not consist of the "automotive" style fuse that can easily be replaced, it will most likely need a new Control Board, right?
    okotoks_metis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 11:55 AM

Manual:
    http://www.trane.com/webcache/un/spl...n_01011999.pdf

May 23, 2009, 01:52 PM
    OK, with this manual you have provided, what am I looking for in these? I mean it has schematics and such, but really isn't leading me into the whole solution realm.
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 07:10 AM
    If you're not getting it yet, it may be time to call in a pro.

May 24, 2009, 08:39 AM

Yes it could be, however I have only done what has been suggested. I installed the JUmper wire, when I did that I failed to shut the power off, so I might have either fried the Control board since I can't seem to locate a "quick" change fuse, I am supposing I will need to change the whole control board?
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 09:41 PM
    Well, maybe now you are getting it. "Supposing" as opposed to effective troubleshooting usually results in unnecessary parts changing to solve a problem. It's not likely that you "fried a board", but on-site diagnostics will almost always be more effective than internet help. Did you try my earlier suggestion (checking the transformer for warmth)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My gas heating unit keeps kicking off & on [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an old house and I had the gas company come out & light my pilot on my gas furnace. It kicked on, but only stayed on for a few seconds and the kicked back off. It is continuously doing this. Will not stay on.. I am a single mother of small children with no heat.. please help us..

My Trane Unit is frozen over [ 3 Answers ]

My spouse is deployed and I put the filter in the wrong place. I placed it at the bottom of the unit where the vent is.:confused: I found out that I put it in the wrong place by opening the unit door and opening another cover where I found the Frozen and Dirty Filter. I have turned off the unit...

Trane package unit [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all I'm having a problem with a unit runs good ,cools good, unit will run fine then just shut off ck unit giving no codes reset unit it runs fine until it just shuts off again

Trane a/c unit [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn the a/c on inside the trane unit outside is making a loud buzzing sound. What can I do?

Outside AC unit kicking on in winter [ 3 Answers ]

I have central air, and the outside unit (condenser right? I'm a complete noob) kicks on for about 30 seconds, then stops for 30 seconds, then repeats. This doesn't seem normal. Advice? Thx!

View more questions Search