Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rosalia856 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 04:34 AM
    Installing crown molding
    Is it possiable to instull crown molding in older homes with uneven walls?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 05:06 AM

It is possible to install crown molding on uneven walls, but it will not conform to wall.

If the walls are not too uneven, gap between wall and molding can be filled with caulking before painting. If gap is very wide, it may be unsightly.

Good luck

Chuck
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2009, 06:44 AM

You can buy crown made from fiber board rather than solid wood. It's a bit more flexible and easier to work with. Can be found at big box stores. Get a nail gun and compressor as well. You can push your crown into place and install it with the nail gun rather than predrilling and pounding nails. I've had pretty good luck with this material in the past.

Good luck.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 03:51 PM

For that matter you can buy crown made from a rubbery plastic, pricey but worth the money. Flexible crown molding for curved walls, installs with foam crown molding
    Rosalia856 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 05:51 PM
    :p
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    For that matter you can buy crown made from a rubbery plastic, pricey but worth the money. Flexible crown molding for curved walls, installs with foam crown molding
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 03:02 PM

I'm laughing here. I seen quite a few crown moldings crooked on even ceilings. It's the tiny "flat" on the crown that's easy to twist and make it un even,

If you are going to paint any walls at all and have a problem with and inside or out side corner some drywall compound to tweak a trouble spot works. Also if the wall and ceiling are past 90 degree I have belt sanded the back of the crown flat to solve that "gap" from the flat bumping the crown. Very rare though. If the crown is going to be painted prime before installing. If it's a color on molding then tint the primer to color of finish coat. Caulk can be a good friend in wavy gaps form a small bump to bump

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown molding [ 16 Answers ]

I need help installing crown molding. Is it necessary to use adhesive as well as nails?

Crown molding nailers [ 8 Answers ]

What is the best way to make nailer blocks for installing crown molding? I've read about them, but can't seem to find tips on how to cut them, what type of wood to use, etc. I have a few walls in my home with nothing to nail crown molding to, along the walls parallel to the joists, and need...

Gaps in crown molding [ 2 Answers ]

Is it best to caulk the gaps between crown molding and the ceiling/wall before painting or after painting? Thanks.

Crown molding [ 3 Answers ]

Question 1 What type of nails do I use for the real wood crown molding? Question 2 How do I measure the angle, in degrees, of my ceiling? It is something other than 90 or 45? I was hoping to use something simpler than Trig functions.

Crown molding [ 6 Answers ]

I need help to cope a inside 45 on crown molding

View more questions Search