Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alfred Vijay Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 10:06 PM
    Tax refunds on parents visit
    My parents on their 1st visit were with me from August 2006 to Feb 2007 (6months) , and on their 2nd visit they are with me from Spetmber 2008 and will be leaving on June 2009 (I got the required approved extension). On both occasions I have been supporting them for alll expenses. Please let me know if I can submnit W7 (to get ITIN for them) and claim tax refund (for the year 2008) as I had supported them for more than 6 months during their stay in the US.
    On the W7 form what should be the Entry date, should it be that of the 1st visit or that of the 2nd vist. Please clarify at the very earliest.
    Thanks
    Alfred
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 03:03 AM

In 2008, your parents do not complete substantial presence test. So they do not qualify. In 2009, they will qualify. So it is better that you attach W7 with your 2009 tax return.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test

Apr 30, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Tax refunds on parents visit
    In continuatiuon to my previous question regarding Tax refunds on parents visit
    As my parents do not qualify for the substantial presence test, but they qualify for the First-year choice, can I claim tax refund for them
    Thanks
    Alfred

Previous Query
    My parents on their 1st visit were with me from August 2006 to Feb 2007 (6months) , and on their 2nd visit they are with me from Spetmber 2008 and will be leaving on June 2009 (I got the required approved extension). On both occasions I have been supporting them for alll expenses. Please let me know if I can submnit W7 (to get ITIN for them) and claim tax refund (for the year 2008) as I had supported them for more than 6 months during their stay in the US.
    On the W7 form what should be the Entry date, should it be that of the 1st visit or that of the 2nd vist. Please clarify at the very earliest.
    Thanks
    Alfred

Answer
    In 2008, your parents do not complete substantial presence test. So they do not qualify. In 2009, they will qualify. So it is better that you attach W7 with your 2009 tax return.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2009, 01:56 PM

Please don't start a new thread for follow-up. I've merged your threads. In the future please use the Answer This Question options.

May 1, 2009, 06:40 AM
    In continuatiuon to my previous thread regarding Tax refunds on parents visit

As my parents do not qualify for the substantial presence test, but they qualify for the First-year choice, can I claim tax refund for them
    Thanks
    Alfred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax refunds [ 1 Answers ]

I was am intern from January 2008 to January 2009. I was getting two stipend checks every two weeks each $200. I would like to find out how I can file for the tax refunds.

J1 visa tax refunds [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a physician working in the US, I am on a J1 visa. I came to learn that its different for us when it comes to filing for tax refund. I started my job in 2005, and since then I have been my employer has been holding federal, state, local, social security and medicare taxes from my...

EBAY -- Refunds [ 2 Answers ]

OKay, so I just opened up an eBay account and WOW its addicting. I ran into a problem with one seller and made her refund my money back, she did it says in PAYPAL. But how do I get that money back into my bank account? I Don't know if this makes sense lol I've only had it for like a week and so I...

Tax refunds [ 3 Answers ]

How can I find out what the amount of my federal tax return for the year 2005

View more questions Search