Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teddybear365 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Half-life questions. Equation included. Where do i plug the infotmaion into the eq?
    1. Choosing an isotope where the half life is given in days calculate what percentage of a sample would remain after 5 days.
    2. For an isotope where the half life is in years how much would be left after 100 years?
    3. For an isotope where the half life is in hours, how much would be left after 48 hours?

Ra-224 halflife =3.6319 days
    U-240 halflife = 14.1 hours
    Cf-252 half life = 2.645 years

Equation = Nt = N0e − λt
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Please use proper grouping symbols. I think your equation is meant to be:

I used k instead of lambda.

k, the constant of proportionality, can be found from the formula

T is given as 3.6319 days, so solve for k.

Because it is a percentage remaining, you could let N(0), the amount initially, to be 1 for 100%. Then, using , where t=5, you can find the amount remaining at 5 days.

Do the other ones similarly. Just make sure your units are consistent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Half-life equations [ 3 Answers ]

The half-life of 9142Mo is 15.5 minutes. If you start with 3.5 x 1022 atoms of 9142Mo, how many atoms will remain after 31 minutes? The half-life of 31H is 12.26 years. If you start with 2.0 x 1015 atoms of 31H, how many atoms will remain after 36.78 years? The half-life of 6932Ge is 30...

Half Cartoon Half Real Life [ 3 Answers ]

What is the movie, that a boy goes in his closet or something and he turns cartoon, and he drives a red car around?

Lortab half-life [ 4 Answers ]

how long is the half life of hydrocodone, as well as how long is it detectable in in a UA?

Half-life questions [ 2 Answers ]

I have a few problems that I am stuck on: 1.gallium-68 has a half-life of 68.3 minutes. Are you likely to "run into" gallium-68 in nature? Explain. 2. uranium0238 has a half-life of 4,49 x 10 ^9^ years. Are you likely to "run into" uranium-238 in nature? Where would be the most likely place in...

Half-life of atoms. [ 1 Answers ]

If I have an atom with a half life of say 30 seconds and I start with 5 x10^22 atoms of a type of atom how do I figure out how many atoms remain of like 4 minutes?

View more questions Search