Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dawn17 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 12:43 PM
    For me and my baby brother's sakes
    Okay my parents might get a divorce and me ( I can handle it) but what about my little brother who is only 5 years old. How might this effect him?

Dawn
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:28 PM

Divorce effects kids in different ways
    The best thing you can do is be there for him and be strong.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:34 PM

It is very sweet of you to be concerned for your brother.
    Divorce is never easy on anyone.
    Hopefully your parents can be friends and continue to support both you and your brother during this difficult time.
    I would just let him know you understand what he is feeling and its quite all right if you don't feel very brave all the time either.
    I wish you the very best.
    Enigma88 Posts: 13, Reputation: -1

Apr 29, 2009, 05:57 PM
    Divorce does affect everyone differently. My parents got a divorce when I was 5 and all I did was cry a lot mostly because I didn't understand what was going all that my parents told me was that "daddy was moving and mommy and daddy didn't love each other any more". So it has a lot to do with what your parents actually tell him because my parents waited until I was in high school to tell me a lot. So like I said the main thing is how your parents really act about the whole thing.
    Dawn17 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 09:10 AM

But what If they split me and him up... I can't lose him like this because of their choice can I?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn17 View Post
    But what If they split me and him up...I can't lose him like this because of their choice can I?
    That is an extremely rare thing, to split children up like that. If the issue comes up, you should address your feelings with your parents directly.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2009, 12:46 PM

If you are afraid they will split you guys up deifnately talk to your parents about this. How will they know if it will affect you so deeply if you don't tell them.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 12:52 PM

You need to talk to your parents and ask them about getting you counseling if there is a chance of breaking you two up.
    Generally a custody court order will keep you together unless there are serious problems.
    chiarav Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2009, 02:42 PM
    I agree with other users that you need to be strong for him as this will be extremely confusing for him to deal with.
    However you also need to keep an outlet for your own feelings as you might find that you are bottling them all up later on. Hopefully you have a close friend or relative you can talk to, and always remember that this is not your fault. Make sure your brother understands that as well.
    I obviously don't know your parents but you have to make it clear to them that you won't be put in the middle or used as a go between and you won't let this happen to your brother either. Believe me when I say that I know how much harm this can do to you.
    The best thing you can do for your brother is stay close to him and make sure he knows he can come to you for comfort, and help him stay close to both of your parents so he doesn't miss out on anything with either of them.
    Finally, I just want to say that you sound like an amazing sister to think of your brother's feelings and not just your own. Stay strong honey!!
    theduke2 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 07:04 PM
    My parents got divorce when I was five. 1 trick is don't ever think your parents split up because of you or your brother. I went to a therapist and she helped me get through the whole thing. If you live in NYC her name is Laurie Ostraish. (I may have speeled it wrong)
    JustDontAsk23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 09:10 PM
    My parents divorced when I was really little, I was about 5 and my brother was about 3, and I used to keep it all inside and then some days I would just totally lose it and go all out asking questions about the whole thing. My advise is to just make sure you are there for your little brother, and that someone else is there for you too. Don't let it stay all bottled up if it ever gets that way. I always talked to my coach or 2 of my best friends. Just remember you have nothing to do with it and that it will all be OK in the end even if some days you don't know how you are going to ever get through it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My brother's CS [ 7 Answers ]

I've seen both sides of the coin. My brother had a child with this girl who has children for a living... her whole family lives off the child support and welfare that she is collecting from all the fathers. My brother (who is not an angel either) recently graduated from rehab and wants to get...

Brother's estate [ 1 Answers ]

My brother died on 6 Oct 08 in hospital in Holland of Leukameia aged 66. He was cremated in Holland on 14 Oct 08. He was divorced 3 times and not married at the time of his death. He had 7 children, the eldest is 45. He left no Will, Testament or instructions. He was British nationality. My...

My brother's best friend and me. [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so my brother's best friend asked me out and I said yes. I have the best time hanging out with him, and he's super nice. My brother isn't really okay with us though. I don't want to ruin my relationship with my brother, or my brother's with his best friend, but I really like this guy. What...

My brother's Creditor had my SSN? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, It appears a credit collector, Hoffman Weinberg & O'Brien called me to see if I knew my brother. I began to grilled them to ask them how they received my number and to see who they were. She then told me my old legal name, and SSN. Are they supposed to have that information? He had...

My brother's wellbeing [ 2 Answers ]

I live with my parents and my brother and sister. I am eighteen years old and am considering getting custody of my brother, but I don't graduate until June of this year. I have a part time job and upon graduation plan on getting a full time job until I decide to start college. My boyfriend, who...

View more questions Search