Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 29, 2009, 11:38 AM
    A virgin birth?
    Imagine this conversation...

Mary , Guess what Joseph, I'm going to have a baby!

Joseph, That's odd , you told me you were a virgin. AND I thought we were exclusive.

M , Well yes, I was, and still am.

J , You got some splaining to do

M , The baby daddy is God

J , Really, you don't say?

M , Yep, it's true It is a virgin birth and this baby will be the messiah.

J , Okay. Why don't you go sit and put your feet up dear.

What is the difference between then and now? Do you think anyone today would buy such a story today? Why did they buy it then?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 11:40 AM

Hippies... I blame it on hippies.
    They had such long hair back then
    And the robes...

Hippies ;)
    bhysics Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 11:42 AM

Joh...
    This thime, the guys didn't know anythig about anything...
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 11:44 AM

I think back then a lot more things were not allowed so the thought that an affair had taken place wouldn't have been given much thought.

Can you imagine back then they would have believed that people would be attracted and wish to marry members of their own sex?

That they would believe that people were capable of making themselves throw up and cut themselves to create their own pain?

Today a bit more extreme situations would be questioned when a virgin turned up pregnant.

If it wasn't an affair then it was some serious fooling around less penetration would have been questioned. She would have even been examed for authenticity. She would have become an overnight headline.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 11:45 AM

I think if it were to happen today the woman would be sent for a psychological evaluation and me labeled delusional, and if in fact she is pregnant she really thought her pregnancy came from God she'd be labeled Schizophrenic. Others may call her an attention seeker, and a media whore...

Then you'd have millions of hardcore religious peoples bashing her and calling her the anti christ.

Then you'd have CNN, Nancy Grace, and various news shows going "octomom" on her. Overdone interviews, a phone line set up for viewer's opinons, and as much background information as we can get from her, even minute details like "I heard she was an alcoholic in high school".

Let's not forget Jay Leno, Jimmy Kimmel, Chelsea Lately and other late night shows will be making jokes and pretty ridiculous puns.

That's just what I think...

Sarah
    bhysics Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 11:54 AM

All right, do what you want to do..
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 11:58 AM

In my humble opinion.as I don't know the mind of God,I would think he would have all the bases covered.
    As he did then.
    Did jesus succeed in spreading Gods word?
    Yes.
    Some believe some don't,doesn't change the fact the 3000 years after his birth,millions of people still discuss the life and death of a poor carpenters son.
    IF and I say IF,the same happened today,(and some have claimed to be pregnant with the next christ,and nothing came of it).. Im sure today as then, some would believe and others would dismiss it.
    I'm just sticking up for Jesus.

Apr 29, 2009, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    in my humble opinion.as i dont know the mind of God,i would think he would have all the bases covered.
    As he did then.
    Did jesus succeed in spreading Gods word?
    Yes.
    some believe some dont,dosent change the fact the 3000 years after his birth,millions of people still discuss the life and death of a poor carpenters son.
    IF and i say IF,the same happened today,(and some have claimed to be pregnant with the next christ,and nothing came of it).. Im sure today as then, some would believe and others would dismiss it.
    im just sticking up for Jesus.
    Jesus needs no defense. He was either the son of God or he wasn't. Either way, I believe he was sent to show us how to live a life in Gods favor. It's the impregnation that is really out there. And if DNA test were done on Jesus, would it just be 100% Mary. We don't reproduce ourselves. There is always two sets of genes that come together. Just because we did not know the science of DNA back then, doesn't mean it wasn't a reality. What would his DNA show? Now, if someone claimed to be having a virgin birth today, would YOU believe it. I would not. I'm too much of a realist and hocas pocas doesn't hold water.
    mugger Posts: 191, Reputation: 26

Apr 29, 2009, 03:26 PM

History tends to repeat itself and this story is the basic outline for many women today (no offense to the ladies) for excuses why they are pregnant without ever sleeping with their boyfriends.
    I don't know about you folks, but this scenario is a million times more real.
    By the way, Jesus wasn't born 3000 years ago; it's only the year 2009 A.D. (after death). My apologies if it was a typo!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 03:31 PM

What part of the story people are forgetting to mention is that an angel appeared to Joseph to confirm that Mary was indeed having a baby that will be Gods son..

Another thing I would like to mention is that I do believe that if Jesus had dna tests that it would be matched with Mary..

Can not limit on what God can do. For the people who believe God created everything. Since he created adam and eve, why would he not be able to create a baby inside a women's womb without the earth father being involved?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 03:44 PM

JH is 100% right
    Pokerface5 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 04:04 PM

They didn't buy it then. An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph and convinced him that the baby really was Jesus. And the reason people would never believe it now is because I doubt that it would happen now. Were to sinful to birth an angel or heavenly being

Apr 29, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    What part of the story people are forgetting to mention is that an angel appeared to Joseph to confirm that Mary was indeed having a baby that will be Gods son..

Another thing I would like to mention is that I do believe that if Jesus had dna tests that it would be matched with Mary..

Can not limit on what God can do. For the people who believe God created everything. Since he created adam and eve, why would he not be able to create a baby inside a womens womb without the earth father being involved?
    Okay. And when was the last time an angel appeared to you or anyone else you know? That's far fetched too. If his DNA was a perfect match to Mary, he would have been a clone. I know we don't really know what Jesus looked like, but I bet he was not a carbon copy of Mary.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Apr 29, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk View Post
    Okay. And when was the last time an angel appeared to you or anyone else you know? That's far fetched too. If his DNA was a perfect match to Mary, he would have been a clone. I know we don't really know what Jesus looked like, but I bet he was not a carbon copy of Mary.
    That's why the redeemer promised to EVE was called HER seed.

And no, He wasn't a clone.

Apr 29, 2009, 06:16 PM
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    That's why the redeemer promised to EVE was called HER seed

WHAT? Is it the sentence formation?. promised to Eve was called her seed? I'm sorry, I don't know what that means either. WHAT is why the redeemer promised?
    Not following you at all.

Apr 29, 2009, 06:20 PM
    And no, He wasn't a clone.
    [/QUOTE]

So whose genetic traits did he take on? Common sense says that if they were 100% Mary's , he would be another Mary. I like to get down to the nitty gritty and science says one person can not reproduce . Tell me how that can't be a clone. Or just tell me you don't have an answer if that is the case.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 06:45 PM

Ok, we know that Joseph did not believe her either, he was going to quietly allow a divorce,

But a Angel appeared to him, angels sort of appearing out of no where seem to get your attention.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 06:45 PM

Fact is I believe in a virgin birth. I do not limit God and his works.
    All Science has is theories. Theories are hypothesis of what happened.

I have faith and believe personally that there was a virgin birth. Just because Jesus would carry all of Mary's Dna does not make him a clone or women. It just means all of Marys genes were past on to the Son. Simple really.

I am not arguing with anybody here, just sharing my belief.

EDIT: I would also like to add that people even today can hear angels, see angels and Dream about angels. Whether you believe in these experiences is not my concern. I know that it does happen for a fact, and I am not going to try to convince anybody of anything or get into arguments that go no where. This is what I believe. That is final.

Joe
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Apr 30, 2009, 01:16 PM
    [QUOTE=cozyk;1701553]

WHAT? Is it the sentence formation?. promised to Eve was called her seed? I'm sorry, I don't know what that means either. WHAT is why the redeemer promised?
    Not following you at all.
    Sorry. I'll try to clarify that.

Gen 3:15
    15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
    (KJV)

This is the first promise of one who would conquer Satan for all of mankind, foretelling Satan's ultimate defeat. It was enlarged upon by subsequent prophets, notably Isaiah.

In the Bible, the genealogy is always reconed through the male. The mother is mentioned only a few times in scripture.

Notice that God did not address the promise to Adam, but to the serpent regarding the seed of Eve. This was a hint at the virgin birth

Any speculation as to dna is usless. Jesus identified Himself as being one with the Heavenly Father. He usually referred to Himself as "son of Man" thus identifying with all of us, although He did claim to be the Son of God also. The claims are not contradictory.

Is that any clearer?

Apr 30, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    JH is 100% right
    Who is JH?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father not around at birth. Want to add him to birth certificate/change babies name [ 1 Answers ]

At the time I had my son 5 months ago his father was not in the picture so I opted to not give him his last name or put his name on the birth certificate... however now his father came back and we are working things out.. how do I go about changing the birth certificate and my sons last name... do...

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth control for virgin [ 8 Answers ]

So, here's the thing. I'm virgin but I'm about to have sex with my boyfriend now. Can I use pills or get injection since Im still virgin,bcus I don't want to use condom for the first time. And I heard about NuvaRing,is it better?

Adding name to birth record and changing name years after birth. [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know how to add the fathers name to birth certificate years after child is born and changing child's last name.

Can a minor birth mother's parents relinquish rights to the birth father? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Here's the situation: the soon-to-be birth mother is 16, still living with her parents and attending school. The birth father is 18, still lives with his parents but has a job and is generally responsible. The parents of the birth mother want her to put the baby up for adoption and move on...

View more questions Search