Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MattDz02 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 10:32 AM
    Strange Smell in Kitchen
    I recently finished doing some home improvemtent work in my kitchen, new counterops, 4 inch backsplashes, new sink and plumbing, new dishwasher and a fresh coat of paint. Starting 2 days ago I noticed a strange smell in my kitchen and also in the upstairs hallway. I can not identify the smell as its not a musty, moldy mildewy smell or the smell of a rotting dead animal or anything like that. From my own investigations I can find no leaks or drips anywhere in the kitchen around areas I have recently completed my work. The house is pretty old, build in 1929 and I have only lived there 8 months so I am wondering just how concerned I should be about this mystery smell. We recently had 4 days of 80+ degree weather with relatively high humidity as well but I didn't notice this smell last summer when I first moved in. Any advice or ideas about what this smell is would be greatly appreciated.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 06:53 PM

Lots of plumbing and hot temps, bad smell and no leaks. This is not going to be easy. Did you do any changes to your vent stack?
    MattDz02 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 08:44 AM
    No I did not touch the stack at all. Although yesterday after returning from work the smell was almost completely gone, either that or my nose has adjusted to it. Just some more background info I have also recently moved some electrical outlets in the kitchen 3 to be specific. I had to move them in order for my new 4 in backsplashes to fit. Not sure if that can play into it somehow. Also I used a TON of liquid nail to attach the backsplashes to my walls. The house is 90 years old and the walls aren't exactly smooth, especially because they are fake brick. I also used some standard crystal clear caulk to make sure the backsplash is safe from water but that stuff essentially smelled like super glue. I am wondering if it could have been sewage coming back up through the pipes? But it didn't smell anywhere besides the kitchen. I am totally perplexed any thoughts?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 02:55 PM

Adhesives like liquid nails can give off fumes for weeks and if your heat turns on the smell can get extra funy. Hope its gone completely in a few more days or come back and tell us what's happening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange smell in my house [ 16 Answers ]

I have a strange smell in my house it started 1 week ago I thought it was coming from outr heater vents like a gas smell I called the fire dept they test for carbon monoxide there was none they said it smelt like ammonia or cat piss I smelled the carpets and cat pan no smell I let the house air out...

Very strange smell in house [ 6 Answers ]

Hi :) , we've lived in our house six months now, and over the past few weeks, we've noticed a strange smell. The house is about 70 years old, carpets are about a year old, kitchen is all new, bathrooms fairly new. Some of the walls are anaglypta, and although they feel a little spongy underneath,...

Strange smell [ 4 Answers ]

I shifted to a new rental apartment. The problem is that it has this strange smell whenver I enter it. I think it's the wood or the carpet and since the room is closed and locked all day. My q is how can I get rid of it permanently? I use airfreshner but it doesn't do any good. Once inside, I...

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

View more questions Search