Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guardian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 07:59 AM
    Soil pipe problem
    Hi, I have an existing 4" vent stack with an old lead elbow coming from the toilet connected to the vent pipe through what looks like a tee. Now I have to get rid of the lead elbow and replace it with abs the problem I have is what to use to connect the abs to the cast iron tee after I get rid of the lead seal is there a fitting I can use to connect the abs and the cast iron together or do I cut off the hub of the cast iron tee and use a fernco rubber connector. The problem I have with that is that if I cut off the hub from the cast iron tee I only have about 1 inch left to connect to.any help I can get I on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2006, 10:06 AM
    "what to use to connect the abs to the cast iron tee after I get rid of the lead seal is there a fitting I can use to connect the abs and the cast iron together?"

First clear and clean the cast iron hub. Then insert a 4" Duel-Tite Gasket, (see image) in the hub. Next take the piece of plastic pipe that you wish to convert to and file and bevel the sharp edges so it will slip into the gasket.
    Next you will need Duel-Tite Lubricant to make the pipe slde in without friction. Apply the lubricant to both the pipe and the gasket. Now force the pipe into the gasket, KEEP IT SQUARE, do not cock it.
    If you have a problem getting it started it's acceptable to take a razor knife and shave down the first few rows of ridges. You have just converted from cast iron to plastic. Good luck, Tom
    guardian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Hey speedball1 just me again saying that I thought that this was a good fix for my problem, the only thing is I can't get that gasket here in Canada but thanks for the idea. Guardian
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 22, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by guardian
    Hey speedball1 just me again saying that I thought that this was a good fix for my problem, the only thing is I can't get that gasket here in Canada but thanks for the idea. Guardian
    You could order it out of the states if you wish. Let me give you another option. This will require a plumber with lead joint experience. Pour and caulk in a short piece of cast iron pipe. Now using a No-Hub Band (see image) connect the PVC to the short piece of cast iron. I don't favor Fernco rubber Couplings, they aren't ridged enough to support the pipe.
    Good luck, Tom
    trimmanfl Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 03:30 AM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Great info

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! We're fixing a cast iron soil pipe & NEED HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

OK - short history of our problem! - We have a 60 yr old house - crawl space - cast iron pipes... Last week we had a back up from the washer into the tub & toilet - from the tub into the toilet... We have only 1 bath so this was VERY BAD! :( - Called Roto Rooter - $270 later - and an extra trip...

Loose soil pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Having recently replaced my toilet I have found the pipe leading to the main stack loose. The pipe is pitch fibre and joins onto a plastic elbow wich goes straight into the main stack. What is the best way to fix and seal the pitch fibre pipe to plastic elbow?

2 toilets into 1 soil pipe? [ 2 Answers ]

We (my son & I) are remodeling a 50s bathroom, and creating a new half bath in a newer (90s) master bedroom. The old toilet needs to move, about 6 feet from its current location. The new one will be about 12 feet further from the original drain. The existing setup is all 4" cast iron, down into a...

Cast iron soil pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would appreciate very much if someone could clarify some questions I have on oakum/lead joints I have 3 horizontal hub and spigot joints to repair on 4" cast iron sewer pipe. The pipe itself is @ 5 years old. I would like to know if this is the correct way to solve this problem... ...

Offset closet flange, lead soil pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I've reviewed a bunch of questions/answers on this forum and have some ideas, but my problem is pretty specific, so I figured I'd describe it and hope for the best. (BTW, I'm totally impressed with the quality of responses on this forum!) Re-doing a half-bath, but did not plan ahead too well,...

View more questions Search