Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lavanyaa Posts: 190, Reputation: 4

Apr 29, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Linux ! How far u people aware of linux?
    It is a forum for people please just tell me what all you know about linux??

How far it is useful??
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 09:04 AM

The Linux Home Page at Linux Online
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 09:06 AM
    I dual-boot Vista-Linux. There are no lack of websites to learn about Linux. It's too vast a subject (it's like asking "tell me all you know about meat?"), do you have any specific questions?

Apr 29, 2009, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I dual-boot Vista-Linux. There are no lack of websites to learn about Linux. It's too vast a subject (it's like asking "tell me all you know about meat?"), do you have any specific questions?
    I mean that I need to know the benefits of linux compared with MS

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Yeah I made this post as a blog to share about linux
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 09:27 AM
    This site isn't a blog though, it's a question/answer site.

Here's a good roundup: Ubuntu Linux Vs. Windows Vista: The Battle For Your Desktop -- Ubuntu Linux, Windows Vista

It all depends on what you want to do with your computer.
    Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 11:37 AM

I can chip in here. I use Ubuntu, and like it. My son who is in IT and his friends also in IT disqualify MS and prefer Linux.

It seems to be a new wave of qualification.
    Tick
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 11:49 AM
    You're right tickle. MS certs are not valued the way they used to be. The open source movement is gaining momentum. Having knowledge in multiple OSes is never a bad thing. There isn't much you can't do in Ubuntu, there are many replacements for Windows programs, and it's all free.
    Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 01:37 PM

To tell you the truth, my son and friends are just so deep in IT that one of them does a computer forensics job with the Bank of Montreal in Toronto. They are all so well certified, qualified and continually up dating their skills that they are very well sought after by Banks and the like and are never quite out of jobs the bunch of them. I am so proud of my son who is doing what he always wanted to do.

I and my husband, who has a computer based home business are never at a loss for a computer expert in the house. I however, just juggle along doing e mails and AMHD with my Ubuntu and probably don't even know the potential I am using and Chris my son is constantly up dating it for me, with programmes I am not very likely to ever use.

Tick

Apr 30, 2009, 01:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I can chip in here. I use Ubuntu, and like it. My son who is in IT and his friends also in IT disqualify MS and prefer Linux.

It seems to be a new wave of qualification.
    tick
    Fine you are correct sir
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 06:38 PM

My answer wasn't good enough the first time you had to create a new thread OUCH!

I like Linux, it's different and it's gaining speed toward acceptability and respectability.

Like I said before I like Novel Suse, Opensuse and Ubuntu

Rick
    In The Doldrums Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 12:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lavanyaa View Post
    i mean that i need to know the benifits of linux compared with MS

yeah i made this post as a blog to share about linux
    Linux is openware it is an operating system stemmed from Unix it is supposed to be more user friendly than MS. But getting the hang of it is a steep learning curve. Try using something like Redhat it seems to be a little closer to what most Windows users are familiar with do to the GUI Knome is another that my help with the transition. One of the main benefits of Linux is ti ability to be modified to suit the user and its true multi-user platform.
    Uber Member

May 25, 2009, 02:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by In The Doldrums View Post
    ... do to the GUI Knome is another that my help with the transition.
    It's Gnome. :)
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

May 27, 2009, 10:10 AM

On a whole Linux runs smaller or uses less resources than windows. It also is less vulnerable to mall ware partially because it is more secure in some respects ans mainly because it's smaller user base makes it more profitable to write malware for Windows. Through my personal experience I have found Linux less susceptible to crashes, also the whole open source community has stepped up to the plate as far a support is concerned. All major distros I have used have had excellent community support Linux is ready to play in the big league
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 27, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by In The Doldrums View Post
    it is supposed to be more user friendly than MS.
    Um no. Linux, like Unix and DOS is a command line driven OS. However, there are GUI shells that you can get for Linux that do make it as, if not more user friendly than Windows. Some of those GUIs are Open Source, others aren't. You actually have to pay for some of them.

The reason why people like Tickle's son and his friends prefer Linux is because its Open Source. These are people who understand coding at a high level. Its kind of like the difference between driving a car with an automatic vs a standard transmission. A real driver prefers a standard because of the control it gives, but most people prefer an automatic for the ease of use.

So such people want more control over the OS AND they have the ability to exercise that control (not everyone can drive a standard).

As to Linux being more secure, I disagree. Linux is attacked less for a variety of reasons. Mostly because there are so few Linux boxes in comparison. It's the same reason MACs get less viruses, because people don't want to write a virus for less than 10% of the market. Yhen want to go after the 90%. The fact that Linux is Open Source, makes it more vulnerable because a virus write can, more easily hook into important aspects.

The whole Linux (Open Source) argument has been played out many times in various forums over the years. Linux has been around a long time, yet Windows continues to dominate the market. That's because most people don't have the computer knowledge to deal with an Open Source product.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Linux is indeed more secure because any application that wants access to make system changes needs the administrators express permission by his entering the admin password. Had Windows had this from the start there would not be an industry surrounding viruses and malware.

The open source aspect measn that many more people can quickly contribute to fixing a security, this happens often and MUCH faster than Microsoft's reaction time.

May 27, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Linux is indeed more secure becasue any application that wants access to make system changes needs the administrators express permission by his entering the admin password. had Windows had this from the start there would not be an industry surrounding viruses and malware.
    And one of the things people find most annoying about Vista is the frequent checking to make sure you really want to do something. If one can see the code for the OS how hard would it be to bypass that Admin permission request?

The open source aspect measn that many more people can quickly contribute to fixing a security, this happens often and MUCH faster than Microsoft's reaction time.
    So, there are security holes in Linux! They just are fxed more quickly by the user community. ;)

Seriously, I'm not saying that Windows is better than Linux or vice versa. What I'm saying is that Linux appeals to a certain segment of the computing world, just as standard transmissions appeal to a certain segment of the driving population. But, as a desktop OS, its never going to appeal to the masses.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 12:08 PM
    I turned off Vista UAC so fast because it's more annoying than its Ubuntu counterpart. Knowing the code doesn't mean knowing the password - it's not like Vista, you can't turn off the password prompt.

I guess my typing sucks more than usual today :) the meaning I was trying to convey is that the Linux community is quick to apply fixes to any application bugs, whether it be OpenOffice, the Linux kernel, the printing subsystem, etc..

I dual boot Ubuntu and Vista, the kids seems to like Ubuntu more than me. :)

May 27, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Knowing the code doesn't mean knowing the password - it's not like Vista, you can't turn off the password prompt.
    I have to beg to differ here. I code secuirty into my Access apps all the time. However, anyone with access to the code, can easily turn off the password prompt or bypass it. This is inherent in Open Source. Unless certain parts of the kernal are not Open Source so the source code is not available. Then any programmer can get around it.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    However, anyone with access to the code, can easily turn off the password prompt or bypass it. This is inherent in Open Source.
    Nope, that's not how it works. To allow this to happen would require a new kernel release - who in their right mind would allow that to happen?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 27, 2009, 01:19 PM
    I think NK means for a general users perspective rather than a programmer's.
    While it would be possible to disable the whole elevated permissions aspect within linux, as it is unix based, that would entail serious digging in the kernal.

Turning off the UAC in Vista is simplicity itself, but the elevated permissions referred to in linux is only needed when a kernel change is made/requested.

Security within Linux is based on the unix model, whereby NO ONE has root access (Administrator) bas standard. These permissions are only granted (elevated) when needed.
    One of the major reasons virus, etc can do so much damage in a windows environment is that the first user created is, by default, and Administrator (root) account.

Security best practice says that the admin account should only be used as and when required. MS attempted to do this with the "Run As" on programs, where you can elevated permissions..

OK I waffle on, but I hope you can understand what I'm saying.

Have a play with Ubuntu and you'll soon understand the power of Sudo ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Linux [ 5 Answers ]

I have a saa7134 TV cards .my linux (kernal 2.6)not configure for this TV cards.pls help me

Getting linux [ 1 Answers ]

Hi It's me again. First of all let me thank all the experts that have helped me with my problems. "THANK YOU GUYS" I ran all different sorts of scans on the computer and now it's running faster because all the rubbish files are deleted and the spy sweeper has killed all the spies. One of the...

View more questions Search