Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    04Vanessa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 07:00 AM
    Kitchen sink not draining
    My kitchen sink won't drain and water backs up into it when I do empty it. The sink has a garbage disposal, water goes down when I turn it on but comes back 2 fold when I turn it off.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 07:12 AM

Get a bucket to catuch the water and disconnect the trap below the sink. The trap is likely clear and the clog is further inside the wall. Use a 1'4" rod to start with, preferable a drum type auger. Turn and push as you go inside, you will hit a 90 degree bend about 5" inside the pipe and then the sailing will be easier for a while.
    04Vanessa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Get a bucket to catuch the water and disconnect the trap below the sink. The trap is likely clear and the clog is further inside the wall. Use a 1'4" rod to start with, preferable a drum type auger. Turn and push as you go inside, you will hit a 90 degree bend about 5" inside the pipe and then the sailing will be easier for a while.
    Ok so basically... call the plumber right!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 10:56 AM

Is this a double sink and have you tried just plunging? You can call a plumber but you may be wasting your money, there are things a home owner can do easily.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine draining into kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I know it may seem like this question has been covered a zillion times but here we go again... I live in a block of flats, only 10 storeys high and I live in the penthouse suite (NOT!) - on top floor basically. Just acquired a new Hoover VisionHD washing machine which has been...

AAV in Kitchen Sink causing slow draining. [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older home and the sink in the kitchen does not have venting. I installed an AAV to the sink and it worked well for a month or so but now it is the problem. The AAV is now stopping water from draining. Not sure if this helps, but I have a dishwater hooked up as well. Even with the...

Kitchen sink and washer not draining [ 1 Answers ]

I live in WV where the temp has been single digits the last few days. I did the dishes, then went to do a load of wash, and the rinse cycle started to kick the water into the kitchen sink. We followed our landlord's advice, using draino, vinegar, baking soda, and hot water to try and flush it out....

Kitchen Sink Slow Draining [ 2 Answers ]

I have a double sink in my kitchen. When the 1st sink is plugged and is full with water and I begin to use the 2nd sink the water starts to back up. When I pull the plug on the 1st. Sink a large air bubble surfaces and the water starts to flow better in the 2nd sink. Both sinks join into one pipe...

View more questions Search