Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blueberry153 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 09:01 PM
    What to action bon this IRS letter
    Hello,

I have received a letter from IRS for 2007 returns saying that I filed the returns twice for 2007 tax period. One in March 2008 as Married filing jointly and in May 2008 as single.

When I checked my file, I had filed in Feb 2008 and only once as Married filing jointly.
    They have asked me to send the details on correcting the filing status. Letter has my husbands name but my SSN #.

I had filed Married filing jointly since 2006, because my husband never got W2 from his company. His company would have filed the returns, but we are not sure of what status they have filed his returns.

What should be my next course of action.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 08:23 AM
    You need to contest the May 2008 SINGLE return, telling the IRS that you did NOT submit that return.

Once you sign the required affadavits, the IRS should remove the return from your file.
    blueberry153 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 10:40 AM
    So Do I need to just correct the IRS letter and Fax it to them for 2007 period?

Can I change my Filing status from MFJ to MFS for 2008 period? I did not knew that my husbands company would be filing the returns. They have filed his returned for 2008 as MFS. What is the process to change?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Call the IRS and ASK how to contest the SINGLE 2007 tax return.

For 2008, you will need to amend the submitted MFS return by submitting Form 1040X and filing jointly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caught shoplifting, sent home and said would receive letter, what type of letter? [ 5 Answers ]

I was caught shoplifting and was sent home with a trespassin ticket, meaning icant enter the store for a year.. they said they would issue a letter to my mailing address? They said which is probably a fine? What happens next.. do I have to go to court? Keep in mind I am 20 (biggest mistake of my...

Notice of action letter [ 4 Answers ]

What is a Notice of Action letter, my property is in pre-foreclosure? Thank you.

Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter Michigan [ 9 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

Small Claims Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter my [ 1 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

Commitment letter given & contract of buy is signed, can denial letter make/break? [ 4 Answers ]

My parents "were" in the process of selling their home. The buyers had gotten approved for the loan and signed the contract to close on the house. They put down 1/2 of their down payment as one of two. The second payment would be transferred at closing. The shady buyers decided they...

View more questions Search