Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lanenamorales Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Absent father
    My daughter is 10 yrs old and she never lived with her father he has never been in her life... I don't know where he is located and I want to know how can I have sole custody I have to renew her passport and can't do it with out his consent... any suggestions?
    Enigma88 Posts: 13, Reputation: -1

Apr 28, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Actually you may want to check with a lawyer because I know in some states if you post an add just like the one you did on here in a local newspaper of the town you last thought he lived in then he has 30 days to respond and if he doesn't then you can take it to court and get soul custody. I know it sounds dumb but a lawyer told me that because it works in Georgia and Alabama.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lanenamorales View Post
    My daughter is 10 yrs old and she never lived with her father he has never been in her life ... I dont know where he is located and i want to know how can i have sole custody i have to renew her passport and can't do it with out his consent... any suggestions?
    Are you getting child support for your daughter ? Even with sole physical custody you will need his permission to leave the country. Was the break up after you got the passport the first time ? They might be able to do a simple renewal but keep in mind your going to have to find him if your planning to travel because many more places require the fathers signature if he isn't with you at the time.
    lanenamorales Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 04:45 PM
    He has never been in her life when we went to mexico I got him to sign a letter and had a notery stamp it and used that but now I have no clue where he is located
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 28, 2009, 05:44 PM

You are going to have petition your local Family Court to modify your custody to gain full legal custody. You will have to show the court that you have made a good faith effort to serve the father a summons. Consult an attorney as to what constitutes a good faith effort.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 07:00 PM

You will need to go back to court as noted, if he can not be found to be served, service may be allowed by publication.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma88 View Post
    Actually you may want to check with a lawyer because I know in some states if you post an add just like the one you did on here in a local newspaper of the town you last thought he lived in then he has 30 days to respond and if he doesn't then you can take it to court and get soul custody. I know it sounds dumb but a lawyer told me that because it works in Georgia and Alabama.

"We" pride ourselves on the accuracy of "our" answers - you are consistently posting very incorrect or, at best, simplistic info on the legal boards. What you have posted is not true in all States and cannot be done withouth the permission of the Court. There are also certain qualifications concerning the newspaper.

Please - check your facts or post your sources.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Absent Father Returns After 7 years [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have a daughter who is almost 7 years old and her biological dad has been absent pretty much her whole life. We split up when I was 4 months pregnant and he joined the army. My husband has been apart of our life since I was pregnant, so my daughter grew up knowing him as her father. Her...

Absent Father Returns [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is now 5 1/2 and her father has been absent from her life except for two visits when she was 3. He is looking to be involved in her life and I want to know what is the best way to explain all of this to her and how much time I should allow him acess etc. I believe he is genuine this...

Absent father returns [ 3 Answers ]

My son's father was only involved in his life while he was 9 months to 12 months. My son is now 5 1/2 and his father is back. I introduced them and they've seen each other about 2 times per month for the past few months. My son loved it at first, but now is saying that he was doing fine without...

Questions about absent father [ 3 Answers ]

My 5 yr old daughter is asking many questions about her absent father. She has no relationship and has never met her father. What are the right answers that won't hurt her?

Absent Father [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old son whose father has been absent his entire life. Meaning no child support. He does call occasionally but he doesn't give me one dime for my son. He says he loves my son and what not. Is there a way I could terminate his parental rights?

View more questions Search