Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Apr 28, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Proper Sizing for AC Compressor
    I apologize if this is mentioned in the FAQ, but I did not see a link in the sticky.

When my new furnace was installed 2 years ago, the coils were also installed for the AC. So now all I need is the compressor that goes outside. Just so I don't get ripped off from local HVAC guys... what size compressor should I go with? Here's some info about my house.

I own 1200 sqft Cape Cod style home. The house is 50 years old, however, I have gutted the entire house. All exterior walls have R13 bat insulation and I have 8-10" of Icynene spray foam installed directly to the roof decking. All windows are also brand new... they are Anderson 400 Series double-hung. I live in southern NY. My house is partly shaded during the morning hours, but gets a direct hit from the sun in the afternoon. Both exterior doors are also brand new and sealed properly. My heating system is forced hot air with a supply and return vent in every room... including the upstairs bedrooms.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 04:06 PM

Main thing is to match the outdoor unit to the coil in the furnace. If you could contact the installer of furnace(and coil) they should be able to tell you what size coil was installed. From there, your options are limited to the size of the coil. Can you see any model or serial numbers on the coil(most likely would have to remove some sheet metal on the front side of coil to see these numbers). I don't think any pro will come in and just put in the sized compressor of their choice without knowing the size of coil in furnace. Good luck and please let me know what you find, and how things turn out.

Apr 30, 2009, 03:22 AM
    The heating company didn't list the coil size on the installation receipt, but based on my notes I think they installed a 3 ton coil. Assuming that a 3 ton coil needs a 3 ton compressor, what is the price range for something like that?

Apr 30, 2009, 03:30 AM

Oh... BTW... I just realized it's the whole condenser unit I'm looking for. I need the whole unit that goes outside.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 05:29 AM

For 1200 sf, is this 1 floor or two? I got 1.6 ton. So a 2 ton if it is 1 floor and a 3 ton if it is 2 floors. Also a thing to consider is to find out if it was a 10 seer coil or a 13 seer that was installed, and also if it was designed for 410 or r22 freon

Apr 30, 2009, 04:48 PM

This is all good info. I'll be sure to call the installers and then get back to you guys. Thanks.
    tk03 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2009, 06:54 PM
    3 ton for a 1200 sq ft home. Sounds like someone over sized the a/c coil if that is the size they installed. Want to bet the furnace is also too big.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Its one of those things you can't fix over the internet. If you have what you say(Insulation,windows,doors)- I agree with tko3 its over sized if it's a 3 ton system. Get two or three bids they will tell you what you have and what you need.(Quotes ar usually free). Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wire sizing and conduit sizing [ 8 Answers ]

I am looking for confirmation on some of the info I have found and answers to a few missing pieces. This is regarding wire size and conduit size for service conductors from the meter to the breaker panel (about 30 ft away). Wire Size: 125A service needs #2 copper or 1/0 aluminum -- #6 copper...

Proper wire sizing? [ 3 Answers ]

We are re-routing the supply line to our pump house, where there is an extension panel with 30A 220V (pump controller) and 15A & 20A 110V breakers. It's about a 60' run from the 200A main service in the house, being placed in conduit 2' underground. The wire in place is newer 10 gauge solid copper....

Proper alphabetization of a proper name [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to file this proper name? Beatrice de Clermont Tonnerre

Proper wire sizing? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the wire size needed to run a 240 volt single phase 125 amp around 100 feet?

Bow Sizing [ 2 Answers ]

How does one determine what size bow to buy? I have noticed many lengths and draw distances. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a bow to find out it is not comfortable to use.

View more questions Search