Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cheri0473 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Adult Dog Pooping in House
    I have an adult dog who is 5 and a 1/2 years old. He has been house trained for years. However, recently he has started pooping in the house. I feed him then take him outside. As soon as I get in, he goes into the bedroom and poops in the floor. I have taken him back out after walking our other dog that we had at the time and it didn't matter, he still went right inside and pooped in the floor. I have caught him and scolded him for it. Nothing is working. I have praised him when he has gone outside which is very few and far between these days. He is crated during the day and doesn't potty in his crate. We have even let him go outside off his leash but that doesn't matter either. I do not know what else to try to break his bad habit.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 07:46 PM

Does he regularly go in the same place?
    Try cleaning the areas thoroughly to remove any residue and odor.

How long have you had your other dog for? Has this only been happening since you have been leaving him alone while walking the other dog. It could be a jealousy issue.

How long is the dog crated for during the day?

Apr 29, 2009, 05:37 AM
    We have had the other dog for a year and a half. This has been going on for the past 3 or so months. I walk them together. However, sometimes I take the one who is pooping in the house out again after putting the other one inside in case that is distracting him from pooping outside. He is crated while I am at work which is about 9 hours. However, he isn't going in his crate. He goes in the floor after being walked in the morning. It's a set routine that I walk him after he eats and then about an hour after that before I leave, I take him out again. My routine with him hasn't changed from how it has been since I got him.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 05:58 AM

For starters 9 hours is far too long to leave a dog in a crate.

It's not a good idea to walk dogs for at least an hour after meals, I'm not sure what dogs you have but bloating is very common in larger breeds which is where the stomach twists from too much activity after eating.

Are there certain times he is doing it?
    Or does it happen randomly?

There is a product called "Dog rocks" that deters dogs, you could try using these in areas where he frequently poops.

Another option is don't clean up the poop in your yard for a while, I know it's gross but it will help show him that that's where he is supposed to go.

Dogs that suddenly do this are often suffering from separation anxiety, they can become destructive and although it's more common for them to do it while you are away they have been known to do it when you return.

How old is your other dog?
    Is he 1 1/2 years old? Perhaps he is marking his territory because the other dog has matured more now, it's more common for them to urinate but pooping can also mark dominance.

Sorry for the long post but there are quite a few reasons it could be happening :)

Apr 29, 2009, 06:13 AM
    The other dog that we had was approximately 2 and a half years old. Last week, she was placed in another home. She was in our home for about a year and a half.

Sebastian (5 and 1/2 years old), the dog that is pooping has Separation Anxiety and due to that, every vet that we have used has told us to crate him during the day while we are gone to work because otherwise, we will come home to a mess and he could possibly hurt himself.

Even getting full attention hasn't changed things. As I mentioned previously, this has been occurring for approximately three months. I do take him outside first thing in the morning which is usually right after he eats and then an hour later. He is doing this mainly in the morning right after his first walk. What few times he has gone outside during the past three months, I have praised him for it. However, nothing has stopped it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Old dog is pooping in house [ 6 Answers ]

My dog is 12 years old and has been house trained for 12 years! All the sudden she is pooping in the house at night. What is wrong?

2 house-trained dogs keep pooping in the house [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I have two dogs. One is a 3 and a half year old beagle, and the other is a beagle-lab mix that is almost two. We have had each dog for a quite awhile and have never really had potty problems in the house. We moved to a new state three months ago and they had a few problems the first...

Young adult dog pooping in crate [ 5 Answers ]

I have a beagle/maltese mix that is about 2 1/2 years old. He will occasionally poop in his cage during the day when we aren't home. He recently started doing it every day. We have removed everything from his crate because we're tired of cleaning it up when we get home from work. I don't feed...

House trained dog pooping in house [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house trained dog that is allowed to have full access to our home at all times and come and go through his dog door when he needs to pee or poo. We have not had a problem with him going in the house before, but recently at night he has been pooping and peeing in the same spot. He still...

Adult Dog Pooping in the middle of the night [ 2 Answers ]

My 6 year old-mix (brittany spaniel/lab) started to poop in the middle of the night. She's been potty trained for years and usually scratches the back door to go out. However, lately, she's pooped upstairs (where she's not allowed). More recently, we've kept her in our bedroom to keep her from...

View more questions Search