Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lindah Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2004, 03:55 PM
    Fail to start Windows from MS DOS
    This problem concerns an Aptiva machine(serial 90-OH-133).

By accident I clicked the MS-DOS icon in "My Computer" and of course it opend in MS-DOS and then would not let me return to Windows 98.

No matter what coding I put in front of the DOS promt it failed.

I have been at the Microsoft site, read everyone else's solutions on the Net and no LUCK at all. I even asked a Techy - friend who suggested that there was a hidden file on my Aptiva that needed to be deleted - before I could get back to Windows 98?

I will try any suggestions readers can offer me at this stage. So thank YOU in advance if you do.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 6, 2004, 10:30 PM
    Re: Fail to start Windows from MS DOS
    Try typing EXIT from the dos prompt. If you are inside a shell version of dos that runs from within windows, this will exit it.

Otherwise, try typeing WIN at the dos prompt. This is how you could start windows with the old version (good ole windows 3.1), and I assume it will stll work with windows 98.

Apr 7, 2004, 01:36 AM
    Thanks retsoksirhc

I was entering EXIT and WIN in lower case at the DOS promt. So I did it in the capitals you suggested - however I had to fiddle with some other parts in order for it to start.

Went into Safe Mode, Start, Run and keyed in msconfig.
    Opened uo the Config.sys file and edited the DOS=single file name and put REM in front of it.
    Then hit the OK button and restarted the machine.

It does do something now - which it didn't before <hehehe>

Aptiva starts in MS-DOS
    I type in your WIN in capitals
    Windows 98 comes up sweet as
    I've got this nuisance password thingy coming up
    so that is clicked out and then Desktop loads.

It may not be the perfect start-up, but I have saved
    myself some dollars by NOT getting someone else to fix it. Any other suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Bye Lindah
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 7, 2004, 01:41 PM
    Well if it's just starting in MS-DOS, you may be able to make windows load automatically by adding a line that just says WIN to config.sys

As to the password thing, is it a Windows Networking password box or a windows logon password box? If its windows networking, right click network neighborhood, and I'm not sure if its right on that page or not, but somewhere there is a network logon option that will have a few options. Change it from Windows Network logon to Use Windows Username or whatever the other one is, I don't have a copy of windows98 around here to check.

If it's a windows logon password, you may be able to get rid of it by going into user accounts in the control panel and removing your password or all the other accounts that are not needed.

Apr 7, 2004, 08:30 PM
    Hi back retsoksirhc,

I had a look in the autoexe.bat file and the very last command was C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM/WX. So I edited this for just WIN to remain. Not much difference, the machine is obsessed in beginning in MS-DOS.

The logon is definitely a windows one, and was entered by the person who previously owned the Aptiva. Oh yeah I looked everywhere in order to delete that nuisance - Users, Password and that Network icon that sits on Win 98 Desktop. There isn't much that you can change on the outside.

Ages ago I watched a Techy, at startup use a combination of keys to enter before Desktop. After a selection of windows via the control keys they managed to delete the logon message. What keys they used is now past me.

Like you its been a while since I used Win 98. My other machine runs Win 2000 with Office XP on top. But I find WIN 98 not too bad to contend with. After all it was my mistake that caused all this.

Bye Lindah
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Apr 15, 2004, 05:51 PM
    Fail to start Windows from MS DOS
    Hi back retsoksirhc,

I had a look in the autoexe.bat file and the very last command was C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM/WX. So I edited this for just WIN to remain. Not much difference, the machine is obsessed in beginning in MS-DOS.

The logon is definitely a windows one, and was entered by the person who previously owned the Aptiva. Oh yeah I looked everywhere in order to delete that nuisance - Users, Password and that Network icon that sits on Win 98 Desktop. There isn't much that you can change on the outside.
    Hmm...
    Try adding this to the end of autoexec.bat

Code:
    echo "autoexec finished"
    echo "test"
    win
    Reboot and see if any of those messages are displayed. It's possible, maybe, that for some reason autoexec.bat is being ignored.

]
    Ages ago I watched a Techy, at startup use a combination of keys to enter before Desktop. After a selection of windows via the control keys they managed to delete the logon message. What keys they used is now past me.
    I don't have a windows machine in front of me, but IIRC you should be able to get rid of that login box by entering the control panel and clicking on anything with "user" in the title -- it should be "Users" or "User Accounts." Delete all extra users and passwords.

~psi42

Apr 19, 2004, 09:45 PM
    Putting in the echo statements really made no difference nor did they appear on the DOS screen.

OK if there is something about this autoexec.bat file then below is what's in it. The only thing I added was "Rem" to the DOS=SINGLE line. Beside each line entry is of course a ticked box that I can't replicate here.

@ECHO OFF
    SET PATH=C:\WINDOW: C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\,;C:\IBM TOOLS
    lh MSCDEX.EXE/D:IBMCDOO1/1:G/M:8
    MOUSE.exe
    LH DOSKEY
    REM
    REM The following lines have been created by
    Windows. Do not modify them.
    REM
    C:
    CDC:\WINDOWS
    CALL C:\WINDOWS
    CALL C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM/WX
    C:\essolo.com

As far as the logon message box is concerned - yes I did get rid of the users - however the message box still occurs without any names in it. I am not too worried as I just click it away during startup.

Bye
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

May 1, 2004, 04:48 PM
    Putting in the echo statements really made no difference nor did they appear on the DOS screen.
    Hmm... that means that the file is being ignored.

Make sure this is the only autoexec.bat on your system. Maybe this is just a copy they put somewhere for safekeeping.
    Adlorin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 09:14 PM
    Not that this is so-much relevant anymore.. but simply type EXIT then hit enter -- you're simply in a dos shell [the lower level part of the system]. :)

~Patrick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floppy disk fail [ 3 Answers ]

I'm just putting a computer togather now when I turn on the computer after it's done all it's check it'tells me floppy disk fail how can I fix that?

Fail to access the router [ 6 Answers ]

Please, I need an advice :confused: I fail to access the router, I type my default gateway in IE, but it returns in no results. In the house I live, we are connnected to the internet from one person, is it possible to configure router from my computer? I need to open some ports :D

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows xp start up problem [ 2 Answers ]

Could you please help. Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows roots>system 32\hal.II, I do not have a cd to boot cmy computer with and I've tried to down load disk types put floppy only takes 2.0 mg disk to down load 4.5mg for programme. Please...

Windows 2000 start-up [ 1 Answers ]

My computers were updated from windows 98 to windows 2000. The desk top computer runs great. My IBM lap top takes a long time to open. It seams to be searching for a file or something. I'm not very computer literate - any suggestions.

View more questions Search