Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    9206gilbert Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 07:52 AM
    How do youy use a porcelain drill bit without it slipping
    I have recently tiled my bathroom with heavy porcelain tiles and now need to put up fixings. I'm stumped by the recommended porcelain drill bit as it keeps slipping when I start to drill... any suggestions please?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 07:56 AM

It is a bit difficult until you break through the outer surface. Do not be tempted to use a center punk or awl. Make sure you are perfectly perpendicular to the surface and apply a good deal of pressure then start your drill. You aren't using a masonary bit are you? Tile requires a special spade bit for glass and ceramic.

Apr 28, 2009, 08:00 AM

Not a masonry bit, it is specifically designed for porcelain supplied by Topps Tiles

Apr 28, 2009, 08:03 AM

Sounds like you have the correct tool.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 04:51 AM

Try turning bit in reverse by hand to make a small dent in tile. This works for me.

Good luck

Chuck
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Apr 29, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Do not be tempted to use a center punk or awl.
    I guess I live life in the fast lane - I use my punch all the time... or if I can't find it, I use a nail. The trick is to tap not hit. Any more than a tap and you risk breaking the tile. All you want to do is score the glaze

Apr 29, 2009, 11:03 AM

You are a lucky son of a gun if you get away with this often. Break a tile on a customer who has not spares and I'm up the creek without a paddle. On really expensive stuff when I know there are no spares I will actually break the glaze with a Dremel before drilling.
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Apr 29, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Use a coring bit, they come in all sorts of diameters and hold a sponge next to it to keep the blade cool. FOr a larger hole, a diamond blade in a grinder or a rotozip with an xbit.

Apr 29, 2009, 06:39 PM

I could be mistaken but I think the poster is talking about just a screw hold to mount something.

Apr 30, 2009, 12:24 AM
    Yes, it's just for mounting a shower and shower screen, many thanks for your help, job done:)
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Apr 30, 2009, 05:43 AM
    Glad to hear it all worked out. THe picture I posted of the Rotozip has a 1/4" diameter bit and while the other picture was a 1 3/8 coring bit, perfect for pipe holes, there are coring bits small enough for most wall anchors. Since they are flat on the bottom, they don't walk like spear shaped pointed bits, which by the way, add to the 1000's of used for duct tape. A piece where you want to drill keeps the bit from walking.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

May 10, 2009, 05:52 PM

I just use a porcelain cutting bit with my dremel tool and it does just fine.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 11, 2009, 05:30 AM
    I have used RTW Travel method for years. All it takes is a tiny dent in the tile to start your bit. Ya don't WHACK the punch, you give it a little "love tap". Hey! Works for me! Cheers, Tolm
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 11, 2009, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    "love tap"
    Tom,
    I haven't had one of those in 45 years. Use to get them from 9th grade English teacher for misspelled words.

How about a piece of masking tape on the tile to keep the bit from skating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drill bit for porcelain tile [ 13 Answers ]

I need to know the correct drill bit to use for porcelain tile.I bought a black & decker glass & tile drilling set and it wore completely before I was even 1/8" in. I've been to home depot & lowe's and am told this is the only one available. Surely this can't be true. Any help will be greatly...

Nuvaring slipping out [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on Nuvaring for over a year. Just recently I have noticed that it seems to slip out a little bit during the night. Not out all the way, but to the point where I can feel it just past my vagina. Should I be worried about this? Is it decreasing the effectiveness of the birth control?...

Slipping Away? [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend now have been together nearly 9 months, in the past we had little talking problems well I used to think we did but to him we never did anyway that isn't the point last weekend I had a sleepover with him and my two best friends (both girls) and one of my friends wore real short...

What kind of drill do I need to use to drill holes for 1 1/2" pvc plumbing. [ 6 Answers ]

I'm running 1 1/2" pvc for a basement bathroom vanity and a wet bar. Do I need to get a Forstner bit or is just a regular hole saw best for drilling my 2x6 wall studs? Also, is 2" the correct size, or should I go to 2 1/8" or 2 1/4".

Help!dog Slipping Out Of Collar! [ 13 Answers ]

My pomeranian/yorkshire terrier dog - Baby (whom I rescued, as she was beaten & kept in a cage all of her life!) sometimes & somehow, slips out of the collar, & it is very frightening for me, (because 4 yrs.later, I still "work" with her 24hrs.a day, & there is a chance that at that moment she may...

View more questions Search