Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paul reeve Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 04:09 AM
    Lost wild rabbit
    My cat caught a baby rabbit,the only injury I can find is a small cut in it's ear.I woke up to a high pitch screaming/Then I found a very small rabbit running through my house,much to my cats liking.I've only had it for about 6 hrs.It's about the size of a large rat.It's eyes are wide open,looks like it's in good condition.I put it in a cardboard box for the night.I don't know where the nest is or I would just put it back.Should I just put it outside in a field or what?I'm such a suck for wildlife [6'3 230 pound baby]I feel bad for it.What to do ,I don't want it.I'd sooner put out a human than a defenceless animal.Not literally but you know what I mean.Any advice would be appreciated.Or I could make soup,lol.just ing with you!!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 04:13 AM

NO SOUP!!

Do you have any wildlife centers where you live? Perhaps they could advise you on what to do.

The bunny should be fine out on it's own but I would try to find out it's age first just to make sure it would survive :)
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 04:39 AM

If you put him out too soon, he will be some animals lunch.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 09:07 AM

It sounds young if it's that small. Is it eating? What are you feeding it? Is it drinking on its own?

There are usually wildlife organizations that you can call and they will come and pick up the rabbit, keep it until it's old enough to be on it's own and then release.

These organizations do this keeping in mind that human contact with the animal must be kept to a minimum if it has any hope of survival in the wild.

Look in your phone book or Google Wildlife rescue for your area.

It's best that someone who knows about rabbits takes this little guy in until he can fend for himself.

Good luck

Apr 28, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    It sounds young if it's that small. Is it eating? What are you feeding it? Is it drinking on its own?

There are usually wildlife organizations that you can call and they will come and pick up the rabbit, keep it until it's old enough to be on it's own and then release.

These organizations do this keeping in mind that human contact with the animal must be kept to a minimum if it has any hope of survival in the wild.

Look in your phone book or google Wildlife rescue for your area.

It's best that someone who knows about rabbits takes this little guy in until he can fend for himself.

Good luck
    Thank you for your answer,but I also have one problem with calling someone like the s.p.c.a.Iwas told that if I was to keep or have in my possession any kindof wildlife I could face a 5,000$ fine.I just want to help it not receive a fine.
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paul reeve View Post
    Thank you for your answer,but i also have one problem with calling someone like the s.p.c.a.Iwas told that if i was to keep or have in my possesion any kindof wildlife i could face a 5,000$ fine.I just want to help it not receive a fine.
    Why? Have you kept wildlife as pets before or is this the rule where you live?

If it's just you then get a friend or family member to call and claim they found the bunny.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 04:15 PM

Here is a link I think will help you.
    FAQ: Orphaned Baby Bunnies
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 04:18 PM

Good link Artsy, the house rabbit society is the best and most accurate website out there for rabbit care. :)

Apr 28, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Why? Have you kept wildlife as pets before or is this the rule where you live?

If it's just you then get a friend or family member to call and claim they found the bunny.
    Hello again it's Paul the rabbit lover,anyway yes I did call the ministry and was told just that.5,000$ dollars for removing wildlife from it's natural habitat.I also explained that I didn't remove the rabbit from it's habitat my cat did.This did not seem to make things any different.He then asked for my address and I hung up.thank god I used a payphone!Things turned out o.k though some friends took him away in a small cage and bought it some Imfalackor whatever.She has raised a couple of wild rabbits before.By the way the cat must know where the nest is because he brought home another one 20 min. ago,this time missing a head.At least 1 was saved.Thank you for your response.Paul.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 07:52 PM

You shouldn't be fined for saving an injured animal. It is illegal to keep them as pets without a licence.
    We found a baby joey not long ago and we called our local shelter who referred us to a wildlife carer in the area.

Yeah, the stray cat under our house brought her kittens a headless bunny about a week ago :(
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 08:07 PM

Yeah, the stray cat under our house brought her kittens a headless bunny about a week ago
    :eek:

Ahh! Okay, okay, I know, circle of life, but still... :eek:
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 08:38 PM

I know, it was horrible :(
    We take the kittens food out, the mother as well but she always brings back dead things for them to eat :eek:

Just a small thread Hi-jack to say we contacted a pet store (one a friend of ours owns) and they are willing to take the kittens once they are old enough :)
    We wanted to avoid the shelter in case they didn't get adopted...
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 08:46 PM

I'm so glad to hear that Shaz.

My dad used to work in an office that was attached to a welding shop. There was a stray female that sort of adopted the shop as her home. Well, she had litter after litter of kittens. No one could catch her, otherwise my dad was more then willing to pay to have her spayed.

Although the mom wasn't possible to catch, they'd gather up the kittens as soon as they were old enough to leave mom. A local vet took each litter in, gave them their shots, and found homes for them.

It was really funny to hear the stories when my dad would come home. The kittens would get into everything. The shop cut huge pipes, and all the guys (big, greasy, tough guys) would check the pipes before cutting, just in case a kitten had climbed inside.

The whole shop was closed for a day because the guys had to coax a kitten out of one of the pipes. :)
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 09:47 PM

Awww I can see the headline now...
    "Welders melted by kittens"

Lol
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 10:13 PM

LMAO! Cute title.

Ya, those big burly guys were all goo goo ga ga over the kittens, it was hilarious.
    Regan5457 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Do u have a friend that wants it or maybe check a website or something I know u don't want it but you can raize it and be happy that u helped something.

Or keep your cat indoors:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Into the Wild [ 4 Answers ]

What are people's thoughts on this movie? I am at a similar age to the main character, whilst I am not like him in many aspects- I can't help but relate to him and what he seeks... Thoughts, review and people's perception behind the meaning would be appreciated. "Happiness is only real if shared"

My rat is wild. [ 8 Answers ]

I got a female rat yesterday and te person who served us when we got her (Who once had two rats of her own) told me to leave her for a day. We did, I tried to pick her up today but I didn't succeed. I have never had a rat before so can anyone give me any tips? Another thing is she stays in a corner...

Lost rabbit [ 8 Answers ]

How long should I look for my Rabbit? I have been looking for two days and it gets really cold at night

Wild, wild west. [ 3 Answers ]

A cowboy rode into town and stopped at a saloon for a drink. Unfortunately, the locals had a habit of picking on strangers. So when he finished his drink, he found his horse had been stolen. He went back into the bar, handily flipped his gun into the air, caught it above his head and fired a shot...

Shy but wants to be wild [ 11 Answers ]

Ok here's the thing! Me and my boyfriend have just started having sex, he was my first. I am a naturally kinky person (my mind runs wild and there is so much I want to do) and I know he would probably like something other then missionary style, I know he would like me on top! The thing is I'm shy!...

View more questions Search