Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Apr 22, 2004, 10:07 PM
    Windows 98 internet problem
    I have a computer I am trying to fix running windows 98. The problem is that it keeps poping up a dial up window trying to get me to connect to the internet. The only way to get rid of it is to click cancel as fast as I can about 20-30 times and then it goes away sometimes. I thought it was webshots that was causing this problem but I have since removed it and it hasn't helped. Can anybody think of anything that I can try to fix this problem or even find out what is causing it. Then I can try to fix it from there. Thanks
    Dreamboat Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2004, 09:56 PM
    It sounds like internet explorer might be in the startup folder. Go to C:\windows\startup and see what all is in there. I prefer nothing to be in there unless it's a virus scanner.

You can also check Start-->Run and type msconfig and hit enter. Go to the Startup tab and see what's checked and is set in the registry to start when Windows starts.
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

May 10, 2004, 06:11 PM
    With Internet Explorer opened, go to Tools, Internet Options, under the connections tab, check Never dial a connection, then Apply and OK.

If that doesn't work, under the Connections tab, click Settings, Advanced and change to what you want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reload Windows from Internet [ 7 Answers ]

My laptop has a broken cdrom & floppy drive. The hard drive says it has a virus and cannot locate where the message gets generated from. Conclusion: Reload Windows. Who can reload the software for me.

Windows ME - no internet connection [ 5 Answers ]

I have network - this computer (Windows ME) was working fine until Norton suggested removing the following threats: silc_dll.dll, rlls.dll, rlvkvlg.dll, and ldpochage.dll The computer is able to access other computers on the network. It can't connect to the internet despite all network...

Internet problem? [ 9 Answers ]

I have given my PC (which was working perfectly to connect to the net) to my sister who had an older version which was also working perfectly to connect to the net. When we plug my one into her phone line it won't read the dial tone and yet when I bring it back home it works through my line All...

Internet Problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have encounterd a problem I have never seen before. On my sister's home computer, whether she is online or offline, internet explorer windows keep popping up for no apparent reason. All of them are advertisements of one kind or another, and I have seen as many as 21 of them pop up in a matter...

Windows XP and internet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can someone please help me? Recently I upgraded from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional. Now every time I connect to internet and start browsing or downloading, a message flashes on saying “This shutdown was initiated by NT\SYSTEM. Remote Procedure Call Service terminated...

View more questions Search