Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whoisdan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 04:36 PM
    Illegal to have only deadbolt-no doorknob?
    Is it legal to have a front door with only a deadbolt and no doorknobs if the house has children in it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2009, 04:42 PM

I know of no law that requires any lock on a door. However, most insurance companies do require that you have certain security measures for coverage.

Apr 27, 2009, 04:46 PM
    The front door has a deadbolt only on it and no doorknobs whatsoever--is that not a fire hazard?

Apr 27, 2009, 04:53 PM

You would have to check your local Fire Dept, since this is subject to local laws. But as long as an occupant can easily open the door, there shouldn't be a problem.

Why is this an issue for you?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 04:56 PM

If this is provided by a landlord, you may argue that fact, but since dead bolts are allowed, a dead bolt with an additional handle lock could be even harder to get out of.

If this is a rental, it is very easy just don't rent it.

Apr 27, 2009, 04:57 PM
    My children are in the house and if they need to leave quickly they cannot because it is a key only deadbolt- in an emergency they cannot get out if they can't get the key.
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 27, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whoisdan View Post
    my children are in the house and if they need to leave quickly they cannot because it is a key only deadbolt- in an emergency they cannot get out if they can't get the key.

You have a 2 way key deadbolt only? I have a deadbolt only but it's not 2 way key, I wouldn't own one if it was, dangerous to leave the key in if you were to get an intruder and to take the key out and find it in case of a fire could be a problem. I too agree, and have to say that depending on the area you are in if that is legal or not I know where I am there is no law stating it's illegal to have a deadbolt only. If this is a rental I would talk to management about getting it changed out.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 07:07 AM

Leave a key in the dead bolt on the inside. There are several questions hanging out there, is this a rental or what?

Apr 28, 2009, 07:24 AM
    I have a 2 key deadbolt on my house. I have had one for as long as I've lived in it (over 20 years). So it was there when my daughter was young.

I leave the key on a rack next to the door. There is no danger of an intruder opening the lock since there is no window close enough to break and reach in, even if I left the key in the lock. The key is always within reach in case of an emergency.

There does need to be some handle on the door because using the key is impractical.

So your kids live there (I gather you don't). So the question becomes is this a rental or does the person the kids live with own the home? That will dictate what your next step is. Or is this just a way of hassling the custodial parent?

Apr 28, 2009, 07:29 AM

I had not thought about that "Or is this just a way of hassling the custodial parent?
    " If you are looking for an argument that adult living in this unit is doing something illegal you may be barking up the wrong tree.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 07:47 PM

In the area where I live it is illegal to have a 2 keyed dead bolt. It is not illegal to have no lock. U must also have a handle or knob to open door but not to close it.

And as my dad use to say "Locks are to keep honest people out."

Chuck
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2009, 05:11 AM

I install Security systems and say "I don't want to Keep Honest people Honest, I want to keep Dishonest People Honest".

Apr 30, 2009, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    In the area where I live it is illegal to have a 2 keyed dead bolt. It is not illegal to have no lock. U must also have a handle or knob to open door but not to close it.
    Can you cite the statute or code that makes it illegal? There is a difference between something being illegal and violating building codes.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Can you cite the statute or code that makes it illegal? There is a difference between something being illegal and violating building codes.
    I may have used the wrong terminology. Violating building code in my understanding makes it illegal. Not all VBC are illegal. Example: putting a shed up on your property to close to property line is VBC u can be fined for doing it. This makes it illegal.

Example: Put in undersized header. This is VBC but not illegal.

My daughter got a summons for having 2 keyed dead bolt. This would make it illegal.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I install Security systems and say "I don't want to Keep Honest people Honest, I want to keep Dishonest People Honest".
    A security system is more then a lock.

Chuck

Apr 30, 2009, 02:50 PM

Did the summons state the rule, code,law violation?
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 03:07 PM

I am not privy to that info.

Chuck
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    I am not privy to that info.

Chuck
    That's why I install Electronics. Locks are easy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installation of deadbolt on a metal door [ 6 Answers ]

I have a metal building with a metal entrance door. It already has a door knob lock, however I would like to install a deadbolt. I know how to install a deadbolt on a wooden door, but never installed one on a metal door. The lock I purchased has the rectangle plate on the bolt so if you...

Deadbolt only secure enough? [ 9 Answers ]

Is a front door with just a quality deadbolt secure enough? (i.e. the door knob does not lock, just the deadbolt.) Or is it important that the door knob also locks?

Placed a DEADBOLT on LEASE / Roomates door [ 11 Answers ]

Hello , I need some advice so I don't get myself in trouble. I signed a 1 year lease with a co-worker and moved in together. Everything great but bigproblem! he decides to not pay his share of rent. So after 3 months of his I get fed up and take matters in my own hands when after I went ...

Commercial Deadbolt Fix [ 4 Answers ]

I made the mistake of hiring a real hack to install a commercial entry door. The frame was overtightened, so I now have to use 3 strike plates on the lower lock to get a tight fit. He also used a 2-3/4" hole saw to make the cut for the deadbolt instead of the 2-1/8" that was supposed to be used....

Installing new deadbolt and enlarging the mounting hole [ 5 Answers ]

I have purchased a new deadbolt lock for my front door, which requires me to drill a 2-1/8inch diameter hole in the door. There is already an existing smaller diameter hole for the old deadbolt. My question is: are there any tricks to enlarging the diameter of an existing hole? My hole saw uses a...

View more questions Search