Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

Apr 27, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Recipes for a Dorm kid without many appliances
    Hey all. I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes that a dorm girl could cook with the kitchen supplies of a microwave and a fridge. I'm tired of living off TV dinners and ramen and macaroni and was wondering if there was a good dish I could make with only a microwave and a fridge to keep things cold. Eating out if expensive and fast food is a little unhealthy.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 3, 2009, 10:32 PM
    One of my favorites:

Tex-Mex Tuna Salad

Instead of mixing tuna salad with mayo, try 1/2 salsa, and 1/2 non-fat sour cream.

Add onions, celery, black olives, cilantro and a little cumin to taste

You can also use canned chicken or turkey instead of tuna.

Delicious on crackers, or in a wrap.

Also, if you a re allowed to have one, get a small rice cooker!
    PunkDragonfly Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2009, 11:43 PM

For something sweet . Try my banana yammers. You make them by cutting up some bananas mix them into peanut butter. Spread on graham crackers. Wrap in foil. Freeze or chill. Then enjoy. Hope you like.

Amy
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 20, 2009, 11:01 AM

If you add a hot plate for pasta and rice I can overload you with cheap easy recipes that don't require a cheese of beef packet
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 26, 2009, 06:12 AM

Hey Kara, I never saw this thread before!

Can you get any other appliances?

You can get mini toaster ovens (they are slightly bigger than a toaster with a door on the front) that you can make some awesome meals with.
    They are pretty cheap too, I would send you mine if I could, I don't use the darn thing anymore since we got a gas oven :p
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 4, 2009, 09:56 AM

Check out the Menu's of the fast food places again. It's the fad to eat healthy right now. Mac Donalds has salads, broiled meat, etc. Even Kentucky Fried has grilled chicken now. One of my classmates eats almost exclusively at Mac Donalds. She says it is a lot cheaper than buying groceries to fix a meal. I live alone and have a small sandwich toaster that I use a lot. I make a variety of sandwiches.. Grilled cheese at the top of the list. Use butter flavored pam spray helps the flavor. And then if I crave something sweet, spray the electric sandwich maker and put two or three tablespoons of canned pie filling on a slice of bread and fold it over, close the lid and toast it up until it's crusty.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

Jul 11, 2009, 04:34 AM

Fuzzball, you can cook many different dishes in a microwave. I love steamed veggies and it so easy in the Mic. If you have different power levels on your Mic you can even prepare some meat to add to your veggies. Pasta sauces are also a good option.

Procure a crock pot and get your roast on. A slow cooker can do all kinds of yummy good including soups and stews.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 04:40 AM

Something nice and easy,scrambled eggs,just remember to stir after 2 minutes.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 09:41 AM

You could even invest in a skillet, pot and a double burner hot plate. Wal Mart sells them.
    Attached Images

jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 10:56 AM

You could get a george forman grill (they come in regular size and mini size) and make hamburgers, and grilled chicken, and grilled ANYTHING>

Jul 11, 2009, 06:16 PM

Yeh I did too do that. I must have dozed off. A George Foreman is good! You can do a lot on that. But if you don't want to get loaded down with appliances, go to the book store and get a Microwave cookbook with recipes that sound good to you. You can do so much with a microwave. Then you can tell me how to fix a decent egg in the microwave! I never could.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 12:50 PM

Soup, sausages and spaghetti, hot dogs, there are a fair few microwaveable ready meals, ahhh the sudent lifestyle :D
    Pankeki Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Jul 29, 2009, 09:56 PM

I make rice in my microwave. I don't exactly know how yours will work, but I put in how much water the package says for one cup of rice, cover it with plastic wrap and let it steam away for about 10 minutes. And it comes out just like the rice I make in the pot does. I just don't have to watch it.

Jul 29, 2009, 11:53 PM

Bake a big potaoe and put the jar type velveeta on it, you can get that in two or three flavors and use it for "dip" too.

For a change use a small can Chili in the white
    Potato with the Velveeta

I love sweet potatoes baked in the microwave then put on butter and maple syrup. Or just butter, S&P. Fat Free Spread is just as good. Maple syrup does not have much fat and that is naturally sweet.

For a special dinner, peel some fresh potatoes and cut them up in a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and cook according to the instructions on the front of the microwave, adjust the time as necessary. Put a buterry spread, S&P on them, if real special use sour cream. They taste like baked potato without the skin. If you aren't scared of too much fat, put just a little heavy cream on them, for Creamed Potatoes. With heavy cream and if you do not use a lot, you do not need a thickener.

Some of the larger super markets fix their own meals and sell them. You can experiment with that. Some places have extraordinarily good food, especially if they cater to the elderly because most of them live alone or with one other person.

I like to fix Ham loaf and Meat loaf in the oven on the weekend and heat it up in the microwave during the week with a potato and vegetable . It's even better if you have a freezer in your fridge, to freeze in individual portions to preserve the freshness. Thaw and cook it(or heat it) on power 5 until its heated through, Don't over cook and let it sit 5 min. beofre you eat it. It's a good idea to let all your food sit at least 1 minute before eating or drinking because the "waves" are still heating and it's possible to burn your stomach and mouth.

Have you fixed anything really spectacular in your microwave yet?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

College dorm cable internet? [ 1 Answers ]

How would cable internet work in a college dorm. My dorm has a cable port so can I go to a cable ISP and get a modem from them and get internet. Or would they have to come over and drill or something like that?

Getting out of DORM LIFE! [ 1 Answers ]

I Have been living on my own for 2 years now, I also am a transfer student to a new college. I do not have enough credit hours to qualify to not live in a dorm room but there is NO WAY I am going to live in a dorm. What are some ways I can escape dorm life and be able to live in an apartment of...

GE Appliances [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE top freezer refrigerator model # PTS25SHSSS I can not get the controls panel lights to come on. After reading the trouble shooting tips it refers to a possible solution as replace the fuse….but it fails to point out where the fuse is located. Their will be a $70.00 service change. ...

View more questions Search