Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justine78 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2009, 04:01 PM
    Dogs and cottage cheese.
    Hello

I have a mixed breed puppy, he is a lab,poodle,malamute,and a bordercollie. He is 5 months and I am feeding him holistic dog food called actrium 1, and am wondering if I can feed him cottage cheese mixed with his food everyday, He won't eat his dry dog food unless he has wet food mixed with it. He was eating his dry food alone before he had to go to the vet when he got sick, they gave me wet plain dog food for his intestines,now he won't eat the food with out something in it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 04:12 PM

He'll eat when he's hungry. He's spoiled and unless you want to continue giving him "something" with his dry food he'll just keep holding out. At 5 months he sure has you trained.
    justine78 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2009, 04:15 PM

He has me trained? Because he was sick and I had to feed him wet dog food and he likes it in his dry food, how is that spoiling him? My question is can he have cottage cheese.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 05:04 PM
    I have done the same thing with the dog food many times. Please remember I am not an expert, but if you add a little chicken bouillon or beef bouillon, it might enhance the smell and then slowly take it away and the pup will go back to his normal kibble. That has been my experience and I have nursed 3 sick dogs back.
    I could be wrong, I'm just letting you know what I have done

Edit... sorry, I have heard on this site that cheese can make your dog gasy (spelling?)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Cheese (even curd cheese) can cause gas, normally not a problem for the dog, but you might check with the vet if he had a gut disorder. At five months you should be training him on what to expect for dinner. If you plan on scraps almost every night, keeping him on the soft food is fine. If you want him to go back to the dry food, reducing the amount of "extra" slowly would be my recommendation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is Cottage Cheese okay for dogs? [ 22 Answers ]

HI Everyone and Happy Holidays, I was at a family function yesterday and someone just adopted a beautiful beagle from a rescue home. Their vet told them it is good to give the dog cottage cheese mixed in with her food for protein. Is this good? I am asking as I would love to mix...

Dogs and cottage cheese [ 4 Answers ]

Is it OK to mix my dogs dry food with cottage cheese?

Substitutes for cottage cheese [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.My name is veronda from zambia africa. Please assist me with the substitute for cottage cheese because I can't find any here. There is just mozerella, cheddar, gouda chezzes in the stores.

Substitute for cottage cheese [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know a substitute for cottage cheese? I live in Morocco, They don't have it here. Thanks zaydosmom

Is it OK to add cottage cheese to my dogs dry food? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a Golden-doodle about 1 1/2 yrs old. She is a wonderful companion and gives us so much pleasure. I feed her a high quality natural dry dogfood (many different brands), but she just picks at it all day, then usually leaves a lot of it. She will eat most of it if I add cottage cheese or...

View more questions Search