Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    winni Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Black soot
    Good evening

Please can someone help and advise me please.. I have just had a new kitchen and bathroom a full new central heating put in which the boiler is now in place in the kitchen rather than in the bedroom.. since having this fitted we have thin black soot all over the house especially my new pvcu windows! What on earth is going on? I keep hearing it could be carbon dioxide but it was serviced 3 months ago.. we have a flume at the side of the house could this be doing it? Coming back through vents may be? I'm so gutted as all was new and fab and now it feels dirty... I look forward to peoples help on this..

Ps I don't use candles!

Thanks winnie
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 12:17 PM

Could you call the fitters back the system must have some guarantee with it.

I think you have a blockage somewhere which is causing the blow back into the house... are you all feeling OK?

I think you should shut the system off and get it checked out immediately.

Hopefully a heatig engineer will come on and explain in detail what may be happening, in the mean time for safety sake I would shut the system off, there is obviously a problem somewhere which needs to be sorted.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 02:49 PM

Winnie, shut off the fuel supply to this heater right now. You need to get a HVAC repaiman to check your flame and exhaust chimney. You should not get soot inside your home, ever. Carbon monoxide can kill you, carbon dioxide is the bubbly stuff in soda pop.

Apr 29, 2009, 01:31 AM
    Hi there
    Thanks for advicing me on my next steps.. straight away I called out the central heating people they checked all boiler, flumes but all is well.. so what else can it b? There is more soot collection by fridge freezer but still its all around my 3 bed house upstairs and down.. what damage can a fridge do if gases are leaking?? Could it cause this damage? It is donkeys years old.. hope to hear from some one soon.. please stop my ocd! I can't stop cleaning damm stuff!

winni
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 07:10 AM

What explanation did the heating people give for soot inside the home?

Apr 29, 2009, 07:28 AM
    Hi again

They said they have no clue to what it is! Which really doesn't help me.. I have asked for the trust to send out electrician to find out if stuff going on behind walls.. my house also just been re wired! Mmm.. tsg the heating company recon it could be bonfires,soot from main road.

Thanks
    winni

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blowing black soot [ 2 Answers ]

My Oil Furnace is blowing black soot into the house through all the vents. What could be causing this and what can I do to fix the problem?

Black soot on boiler casing [ 3 Answers ]

My hot water heating boiler is covered with heavy coating or black soot inside the boiler casing. I would like to know what is causing all this soot. There is hardly any soot built up in the exhaust flue.

Black Soot [ 7 Answers ]

Checked my gas furnace filter and found it to be totally black. This condition occurred a few months earlier this year. The filter is changed monthly,so there were two filter changes that appeared normal. Is my flue loading? The furnace is 8yrs. Old.

Black soot at my office [ 1 Answers ]

I sit directly under a air vent in my office building which is an older 8 story building. Every year when the air conditioner get going my desk gets sprayed with small black flakes. They are very small and hard but can be easily crushed into a power. I would guess its some type of carbon build...

Black soot in apartment [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter moved in to a fairly new apartment with heat & air that comes from an electrical unit at the front of the apartment. The unit is similar to something you would see in a hotel room. There is black soot that is on her things. When you rub your finger through it it smears. Does anyone...

View more questions Search