Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladams1221 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Adding a foot to a deck in each direction using supports
    (Sigh) We added a deck last summer. And it is too small in the area where we would like to install a canvas gazebo. We need one more foot on at least one, if not two sides of the deck, in order to install a gazebo. I want to know if it is possible to install 2x4" brackets to the fascia at the joists to support 2-3 more decking boards on at least one of the two sides. The deck is 12x20', but the entry door bay sticks out into this area giving us only a 9x12' area, and we need at least 10x10'.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 10:06 AM

Can you supply a drawing of what you have and what you want? No, you can not just scab on some 2x4s to make your deck larger. It would be againist code and dangerous.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2009, 12:43 PM

The only basic way to add onto a deck is remove the outside band and that's usually what the original joist are hanging. Now one can sister the joist and add some length to that. And re-band the new joist. No this will only work if there there is a post and beam to carry the initial load and then cantilever from there a couple of feet.

The side will need another ledger board and another outside bearing post for that new outside corner.
    The other side of that needs bearing on the old corner post .

This is just a generic way. As Bal 1 mentioned pictures are needed to fine tune it.

Just thought I mention there is a lot more work here then you may think
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 07:28 PM

I agree with boat21. A picture would be very helpful.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding pergola to existing deck [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 12' x 16' deck. Construction is 2x10 ledger attached to house and two 2x10 beams sandwiched around three 6x6 posts (posts are set in concrete piers 4' deep). The beams are set in (cantilevered) about 15" from the outside edge of the deck. The joists are 16" on center and are 2x8's. ...

Adding A Cantilever Extension To An Existing Deck [ 1 Answers ]

I think I made a mistake when I tried to post this the first time so I apologize in advance for any duplicate. I would like to add a 2' cantilevered extension to an existing deck which is 9 1/2' wide, 45' long and 4' ~ 10' of the ground. The builder attached a 2" x 10" ledger to the cottage,...

Adding hand rail to existing deck [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 2 year old composite deck that is 16x16. We need to add hand rails and stair rails. Any suggestions on the easiest way to go about this? Thanks! Jaimie

How do I size the supports for a veranda? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to replace an uncovered deck down the side of our home (60') with a new deck and want to add a roof off the side of our Craftsman-style home. To fit with the architecture I want to have large columns that I will face with stone and over sized boxed posts to match our large posts now. ...

View more questions Search