Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rmachines Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2006, 12:07 PM
    Cat acting Very Odd! HELP
    Hi, I have a male (leo) cat I have had since a kitten, he’s always been a little odd, he is quarter Burmese, but lately he has been running around the house like a mad thing, jumping up on furniture and suddenly freaking and dashing about like a crazed animal. How ever when I pick him up he calms right down and is unusually affectionate, Very much so, he doesn’t want to let go of me sometimes. It’s almost like he is scared of the floor, a few seconds after being put on the floor he will make a running jump for the computer desk and send everything flying. To get off he will walk all along the furniture then jump off and Dash to the door.

Now he does seem to be effect by fleas and his skin scabs. But he has had that his whole life. The vet treats him every few months. He’s acting erratic and totally crazy, I’m getting a little worried, and why is he so calm when he’s sitting on me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Ross.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Sep 21, 2006, 10:25 AM
    My cats will sometimes play a running and climbing game where they run full-throttle through the house - up the stairs, down the stairs, over the couch, up their cat tree, leap to the window ledge, and back around.

They are kind-of wild when they do this, but it's just play for them.

My youngest cat would sometimes go barreling into walls and stuff while playing these running games. When he was a kitten, I remember twice when he got a bump on his head from crashing into things. He stayed wild as a teenage cat, but as he ages he is becoming more calm and more willing to accept affection from everyone.

I think perhaps your cat is much the same - Just a young playful and energetic little boy cat that wants to race and run. When you pick him up, he knows he is safe, and naturally calms down.

If you are really worried, ask the vet next time you're having him treated.
    JBRES25 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Cats get bored like people too,
    And to entertain themselves they literally bounce off the walls.
    There are many toys out there for hyper active cats,
    (basically a box with holes with a ball or a fake mouse inside)
    Toys like this, where your cat spends a while trying to get that ball or mouse will tire him out.
    It may even keep him so entertained that he stays off your furniture.
    skollie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Hi ross,

This is uncanny, my cat has just started this exact behaviour and it's NOT NORMAL and certainly not playful judging from the beating of his heart when I pick him up! He is terrified of the floor at 18mths old. I see you posted your question in September and wondered whether you had resolved the problem?

I am sick with worry and can't get to the vet until next week. Also, I don't know if I am being melodramatic... tend to be when it comes to the boy:o

Hope to hear from you soon
    Cheers
    Jackie
    Rmachines Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 03:22 AM
    Hi skollie, Well I took leo to the vets and he said that its all down to his flea alergy, it makes him so itchy he's running about the place not sure what to do with it. Although it didn't seem to quite add up, he's now on steroids for a while to help it clear up and he's much more relexed.

He did initialy say that its not unusual for cats to get spooked by certain noises we don't think twise about, for example we have a frost free freezer which makes gurlging noises and my other cat really gets scared by this, I wouldn't worry too much, but check to see if he seems to be irritated by anything or spooked by a noise, Post back and let me know what the vet sais.

Hope this helps :)
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 21, 2006, 05:30 PM
    Just a quick note for stressing cats a product called Feliaway can really help.
    Also, please read this site for information about steroid use. While there is a time and place for them they are often OVER used.
    http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/404_pets.html
    "The FDA has approved other steroid products for short-term use in dogs and cats to relieve inflammation and itching. Long-term steroid use is discouraged because these drugs work by suppressing the immune system; this suppressant action over time can leave an animal vulnerable to infection, diabetes, and other conditions."
    Do you keep you cat on flea control? Revolution is a very safe product and the best 'bang' for your buck!
    clvassallo Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Your cat is acting like a playful cat. Chill out.
    Euphoric_boner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2009, 02:50 PM
    You cat is not being playful and the steroids is probably just "calming" him down because he is weaker now. I used to have a brother and sister cat but her brother died about two years ago. They both had their "spot" that they liked to stay. And they would usually stay out of each other's "zone." My male cat was closest to me and he would always hang around the living room or up stairs, one side of the house and would just occasionally go to the dinning room to sleep on a chair or eat or use the bathroom in the kitchen area but would go back to his area. My female cat stays in the dining area and plays with her water. She doesn't do much but is always in her area, or when scared she would hide in the toilet (litterbox). But two years later after he died, lately she's been acting strange. Not running around. But she would occasionally be frightened by something. She would run from her toilet and hide on her chair and meow, scared. Or last night was really odd. OUr family was watching a movie, and I noticed her walking into the living room by the staircase and turn to us and meow and then walk further to the step and meow again, and she went up a few steps, and then ran up the stairs. Lately she would be upstairs late at night and she would never do this. She never goes upstairs on her own. And when my mom and I went to see where she was she was right in front of my bedroom door. It was really creepy. We don't know what it is. But sometimes we think her brother is picking on her but this times is something else... If you don't believe in spirits, that's okay, but if you're a real cat owner, you would notice that they sometimes look at you then their eyes droft off to right above you or just all around...
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 14, 2010, 02:19 PM

Old thread. Closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help with Acting [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could help me. At the moment I'm studying computers but for the last 4-5 months I have been really interested in becoming an actor. Where I live there isn't many acting classes, I don't no what to do. How do I get into the business? I have no experience in...

Acting! [ 4 Answers ]

To whom it may concern, I am very, very interested in becoming involved in community theatre here in chicago. I currently live in chicago and have just completed a year's worth of acting classes at a local theatre school. Simply, I want to start performing. I want to really experience the...

Is my cat acting normal? [ 3 Answers ]

My kitten has been acting very moody recently. Normally she would be happy and playful, but yesterday I noticed that she was very lazy. Today whenever you try to play with her or pet her she hisses or growls at you. She never acted like this before, and I don't know if it is normal or not.My kitten...

Central Air Acting Up [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I am sure there are some people on here who work for Air Conditioning companies, and I need their help/advice. Over the last few weeks at random, my a/c will just switch off. The air handler in the house stays on. The thermostat stills says cool, and even the unit outside is still on, but if...

TV acting weird! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Samsung 27 in TV that is about 4.5 yrs old. Recently the screen has been fading to black (w/ sound still on) right after I turn it on and a minute or two later, the picture comes back and it's fine. If I turn it off for a little while and turn it back on the same thing happens. I know you...

View more questions Search