Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barndawgracing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 09:45 AM
    Siding per sq ft pricing. A mystery?
    I have called just about every contractor in the yellow pages trying to get a general idea of per square foot prices for installation of our vinyl siding. Not one of them will even give us an idea of the range of pricing in the industry for installation only. We want to do the math so we know what to expect before we get estimates. Can anyone give me an idea of the general install ONLY price for a square foot of vinyl siding. We have the materials, we just need an idea for installation. Anyone??
    Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 10:08 AM

Most siding companies will not install siding that they did not sell. Their profits comes from selling and installing. If they did your job the amount of work is the same and the profit is cut. You probably will be better off looking for a handyman with siding skills.
    barndawgracing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Most siding companies will not install siding that they did not sell. Their profits comes from selling and installing. If they did your job the amount of work is the same and the profit is cut. You probably will be better off looking for a handyman with siding skills.

So, why is it such a secret when I ask for this info? What would be a fair price to have this done? I just don't understand why I can't get a general per square foot price. I'm not asking for someone to give away any trade secrets or anything. I just want an idea of what to expect.
    Tommyjo206 Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Apr 27, 2009, 12:25 PM
    1) Prices will vary widely around the country. Where are you located.
    2) There will be an extra charge for 2nd story work. You did not describe the work needed.
    3) What is the current surface? Is there siding to be removed?

I have worked at Lowe's for 12+ years and sold thousands of Sq feet of siding both to DIY and contractors. There is really no clear number for this since there are a number of variables that need to be figured in. Any installer will need to know the basic shape, height and current surface of the house. Will the soffit be done? Fascia? Is there 20 windows to go around or just a few? Does the current siding need to come off (removal and disposal fee)? Will fan-fold be installed?
    A siding installer will need to come to the site to do an estimate.
    A handy person with siding skills will probably work by the hour. After the first day you should be able to guess how fast the work will go.
    You can also arrange to have siding installed through Lowe's or Home Depot. Lowe's labor only price is $136 per square. This includes install (single story), clean up and 1 year warranty. Seems a bit high for my area (central IL) but Lowe's has to make money on top of the contractor.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 02:11 PM

The secret is they prefer to not share how much they mark up the siding. Not really a secret , they just do not want to do the job.
    handyman61 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 07:16 AM

OMG! This is like calling a doctor and saying you have a pain. How much will it cost to make it better?! There is no "Fixed Price" per s/ft for this kind of work. Variable such as surface to be covered, number of windows, and type of trim, number of stories, dormers to be sided, etc. etc. etc. In my area, Most contractors still give free estimates. The contractor will be able to give you options when he actually sees the project. We (contractors ) are not all out to "get" you! Besides, We could quote you anything over the phone, and it could change entirely when the project is actually seen. Whatever type of work you yourself do, I am sure you would find it difficult if not impossible to do if your key ingredient was removed from the equation.
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Jun 15, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by barndawgracing View Post
    So, why is it such a secret when I ask for this info? What would be a fair price to have this done? I just don't understand why I can't get a general per square foot price. I'm not asking for someone to give away any trade secrets or anything. I just want an idea of what to expect.
    Secret?. hmmm.. I tell you this, I'm not dragging my brake wrapping windows for less than 75.00 a window with aluminum 100.00 a roll.. I'm not sure how one gives out pricing per ft.. I look at a job and decide how many days and what kind of work site I'm bidding on.. anywhere from 300 to 500 bucks a square with leveling board/ trim coil /flashings is my guestimint

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding vinil siding over cedar siding [ 3 Answers ]

My house have cedar siding I do like to know if I can add vinal siding over it, if I can how should I do it, or what kind of insulation can I use. Thanks

Sq. Ft. Pricing. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just want to get some idea of how much people are charging by the sqare ft. for interior painting. I just need a average price. The square footage is about 3500 with some small drywall repair and we might want to change the color so we need price for priming as well. It is all wall with 20...

Pricing a job [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I'm redoing the baseboard in two townhouses with a two zoned boiler. How do I properly price the cost of this job? The townhouses are about 1200sqft each. All the baseboard has been gutted but the pipes for the most part are still in the walls.

Bond Pricing [ 2 Answers ]

You have just purchased a 12-year, $1,000 par value bond. The coupon rate on this bond is 11 percent annually, with interest being paid each 6 months. If you expect to earn a 12 percent simple rate of return on this bond, how much did you pay for it?

Help With Pricing [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about starting a cleaning business. Cleaning empty apartments and real estate houses. I'm not sure how to price these jobs and wondered if anyone could offer any information? Many thanks,

View more questions Search