Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 27, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Just politically incorrect or over the line?
    I was surfing this board yesterday and saw a post about the show "Family Guy" crossing the line. I happen to love that show... so far. It takes pot shots at underlying issues in our society and exploits the he! Out of them. It's fun to take all the politically correct barriers down and just get a good laugh at ourselves and our neurosises. I don't even know how to spell that word but you know what I mean. Anyhoo, I was wondering how much is too much. I decided I was okay with just about everything but this. Taking a real life tragedy, such as the OJ Simpson/Nicole murder case. I could never laugh at all the OJ jokes because Nicole was someone's daughter. I have a daughter. Anytime an innocent person is murdered, there is NO ROOM for jokes . I'm curious. What if anything do you consider to be crossing the line when it comes to humor?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 06:42 AM

Mmmm, it would be taking pot shots at disabled people. I don't know how anyone can make a joke out of a person with downs syndrome, or parkinsons. That is just not right.

I remember I learned that lesson the hard way when I was young. I was with my mom and laughed at a lady with one leg shorter then the other. I got such a wack up the side of the head I never forgot.

Tick
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 28, 2009, 02:12 AM

This is a country where we say we honor free speech but the people who advocate "political correctness" seem to forget this. Shows like that are not new, I don't know if you have seen any episodes of the "Archie Bunker" show but that one caused a lot of controversy in its day.

Of course there is a difference between what is appropriate to say to people and what increases the ratings of TV shows. Producers like to draw attention to their shows, and stimulating controversy is one way to do it.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 02:58 AM

I think its good to get a humorous perspective on our lives. I sometimes laugh at jokes that are so gross because I'm actually stunned that they would say such a thing..
    There have been a few comedians that have made jokes about rape,child abuse,murder,and missing children.. thats not funny. There's my line..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Politically correct OVERBOARD [ 15 Answers ]

Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist' By Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent Last Updated: 9:29AM BST 08/07/2008 | Comments 966 | Have Your Say Toddlers who turn their noses up at spicy food from overseas could be branded racists by a Government-sponsored agency. The National Children's...

Sarkozy - politically incorrect? [ 6 Answers ]

Sarkozy vows tough line against rioters - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) "Those who take it upon themselves to shoot at police will find themselves in the Assizes Court," Mr Sarkozy said. Shooting at police "has a name - attempted murder," he added Why did Sarkozy not...

Another thread on politically correct. [ 3 Answers ]

I was just listening to Jerry Doyle on the radio he was talking about Mary Crane on Sixty minutes the other night. He said that the kids entering the work place now want their hours to work around their yoga classes etc... Their mothers want performance reports from the boss, telling the boss how...

Politically Correct speak [ 30 Answers ]

"Undocumented". Since "Illegal Aliens" losing favor for "Undocumented Aliens", I'd like to take advantage too. I'm a drug dealer. Please do not refer to me as such; I prefer "Unlicensed Pharmacist".

View more questions Search