Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abeclerigo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 11:20 PM
    How to access or view unallocated space?
    Hello, I had a problem in accessing external harddisk USB. After my computer detected it for my first use I put my old data to my new 1 terabyte Western Digital external hdd. Then, I change the default name of that hdd which is My Book to BAckupFiles. But when I safely remove it before I shuting down the computer, when I return to access it, I did not see it at all but when I go to Computer Management it only shows unallcoated space but I could not access it anymore.

Please help me. How will I see or view my data again. I don't want to format it because I am afraid to lost all the data.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 12:14 PM

I'm surprised that merely renaming the disk would cause it to become corrupted, but that type of thing does happen.

If disk manager shows only unallocated space, then something's amiss. You'll have to reformat the disk if you want to use it. You can try this (but I doubt it will work). Click Start | Run. Enter "CMD" and click "Go". You'll open a Dos-like window. At the Dos command prompt enter "chkdsk /f x:" where "x" is the drive letter of your drive. Chkdsk may or may not be able to recover something from the drive.

Sorry about your data.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 05:48 PM

Did you simply copy-paste your data to the EHDD or did you actually put it there. If so sorry about the lost info.

Rick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Partition UnAllocated [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Friends, When I connect my USB Hard Drive its showing Partition Unallocated I had so much Data in it... Please Suggest me how to fix this.. Thanks And Regards Guru

Unallocated drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lap top running win xp home with a 120Gb hard drive. It has 3 primary? Partitions C,D,E C is windows OS, D was programs and data and E is recover. I also have a Netbook running linux which has crashed and it suggested using adevice with a CD drive to create a bootable USB recovery...

Unallocated space [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I recently partitioned my 500gb hdd to four drives c,e,f,h.each 100gb. When I accessed the partitions using disk manager, I found that the remaining 100gb was labelled unallocated space and there was nothing I could do with it i.e activate it, format or partition it. How can I utilize this...

Unable to access unallocated space on hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

I am setting up my new computer and installed a 320 gb drive and installed XP w/SP2. I partitioned the drive with 75 gb for Windows, then went to disc manager to setup the unallocated space. When I tried to set up the unallocated space as a new partition I get a dialog box that says the operation...

View more questions Search