Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 26, 2009, 10:18 PM
    Uses with Danish Oil?
    If a piece of bare pine wood has been coated with "Natural" Danish oil coating then can I use MinWax Wood Finish Stain over it in whatever stain color I pick or does that initial coating of Danish oil not allow any other brand of stain to go over it without re-sanding the wood? The Danish Oil in a stain color isn't changing the natural color of the pine like I'd like it too.

Thank you,
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 10:23 PM

Hi, MsCanFix!

How much of the Danish oil finish is on the wood and how long has it been on it, please?

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2009, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, MsCanFix!

How much of the Danish oil finish is on the wood and how long has it been on it, please?

Thanks!

Hi and Thank you for responding so quickly, It was applied this morning and most of it has absorbed into the wood already. The wood seemed pretty dry to start with. I hope that helped if not let me know and I will get back to you. Thanks again, much appreciated!
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 10:49 AM

I would then suggest using a furniture stripper to get as much of the Danish oil finish out that you can, rinsing with lacquer thinner, wearing appropriate gloves and working in a well-ventilated area, letting it dry, then lightly sanding and applying the darker stain.

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2009, 06:54 AM
    I would then suggest using a furniture stripper to get as much of the Danish oil finish out that you can, rinsing with lacquer thinner, wearing appropriate gloves and working in a well-ventilated area, letting it dry, then lightly sanding and applying the darker stain.

Thanks!

Once I do that and the furniture is finally stained and I want to use
    A polisher on it do you like Scotts Liquid Gold for a polish? If your not crazy about that one, which polish do you like? Thank you
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 12:24 PM

Hi again, MsCanFix!

I would recommend using a paste wax with Carnuba in it, that you can purchase at a paint or hardware store. Using that will make the piece even more protected. What happens with the polishes that have a lot of oil in them is that I find they are more likely to attract dust.

As far as a liquid wax is concerned though, I like those that leave as little as possible on the finish. Kleen Guard is one that I like to use. It can be found at hardware and grocery stores.

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier, is that if you go to a Sherwin-Williams paint store, they will have lacquer-based stains that will do the trick as far as achieving the color that you want on the wood.

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Hi again, MsCanFix!

I would recommend using a paste wax with Carnuba in it, that you can purchase at a paint or hardware store. Using that will make the piece even more protected. What happens with the polishes that have a lot of oil in them is that I find they are more likely to attract dust.

As far as a liquid wax is concerned though, I like those that leave as little as possible on the finish. Kleen Guard is one that I like to use. It can be found at hardware and grocery stores.

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier, is that if you go to a Sherwin-Williams paint store, they will have lacquer-based stains that will do the trick as far as achieving the color that you want on the wood.

Thanks!

Hi again:)

I will look into those suggestions, I have seen Kleen Guard funny you mentioned that. Good point about the dust. The lacquer based stain will give a nice sheen also. My parents use Scotts Liquid Gold and boy does it smell good and give a nice finish but my mom also does a full house cleaning every week so she never gets the dust build up. Thank you for all your help.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 10:04 PM

The lacquer-based stains can be used without applying a clear finish over them. However, depending on the look you want and the use of the piece, it may be advisable to put a clear finish on also.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search