Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 26, 2009, 10:07 PM
    Any Food Safe Clear Coats ?
    I have this great rustic, iron basket that has been sand blasted to get the old rust and inconsistencies out of it and now I want to put a coating over it so I can use the basket for napkins or maybe something else in my kitchen. I like how the natural rust has come out in it but don't want to put napkins or anything else that would be touching your face or hands in it being that the iron would rub onto whatever touches it. I'd like the piece to keep the same rustic look but preserve it with a coating that will be safe enough for anything in my kitchen to go into it.

Any ideas I'd appreciate, thank you so much
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2009, 10:28 PM

Hi, MsCanFix!

If you clear-coat it with some Deft laquer, (satin or semi-gloss), you should be okay. That will also help to keep it from rusting again. I would avoid putting anything wet in it, though.

I would suggest giving it at least a couple of light coats of the lacquer and make sure that you follow all of the label directions concerning spraying or brushing and safety.

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2009, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, MsCanFix!

If you clear-coat it with some Deft laquer, (satin or semi-gloss), you should be okay. That will also help to keep it from rusting again. I would avoid putting anything wet in it, though.

I would suggest giving it at least a couple of light coats of the lacquer and make sure that you follow all of the label directions concerning spraying or brushing and safety.

Thanks!
    Hi, how are you,

You don't think that after I apply the laquer that I could put something that might be damp or even if I go wipe over it to clean it that it will be OK? I was hoping that the laquer would completely seal it. Thanks again
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 10:46 AM

Yes, the Deft lacquer will completely seal it, but it's not a high-solids content lacquer. It looks beautiful but is not as durable as the high-solid kinds. I was trying to give you an easy fix because it's available in spray cans. High-solids lacquers aren't sold in spray cans and must be applied by brush, very quickly or by the use of a compressor.

If you get a lacquer with a high-solids content, then you will be able to do more things with it, like having it exposed to moisture with less risk of damage to the lacquer.

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2009, 08:11 PM
    Yes, the Deft lacquer will completely seal it, but it's not a high-solids content lacquer. It looks beautiful but is not as durable as the high-solid kinds. I was trying to give you an easy fix because it's available in spray cans. High-solids lacquers aren't sold in spray cans and must be applied by brush, very quickly or by the use of a compressor.

If you get a lacquer with a high-solids content, then you will be able to do more things with it, like having it exposed to moisture with less risk of damage to the lacquer.

Thanks!

Oohhhhhhh OK, thank you for explaining like you did, I understand the difference now. I do feel it will be so much easier to apply with a spray can. Thanks again
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 08:14 PM

Yes, it would be much easier out of a spray can, but the high-solids ones are more durable.

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Yes, it would be much easier out of a spray can, but the high-solids ones are more durable.

Thanks!

I'll be OK with the spray, this basket will pretty much only be used for my kitchen napkins or maybe something else in my kitchen but that'll be it so I will not need something so durable. Is the can that you mentioned a brand or the ingredient, I'm just not sure what to look for when I go to Home Depot. Thank you!
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2009, 12:26 PM

Deft is the brand name on the can. Not every place has it, though. It might pay to call around to see who carries Deft lacquer in spray cans.

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2009, 05:41 PM
    Deft is the brand name on the can. Not every place has it, though. It might pay to call around to see who carries Deft lacquer in spray cans.

Thanks!
    Good point, I will call around to save on running around. Thank you so much!

Apr 29, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Ok, :o one more question about this basket, lol, it's been sand blasted now it's down to bare iron and I'm going to get it to rust again. Now, after it has re-rusted can I spray the Deft Lacquer on it to keep the rust from rubbing off and getting on things or is the lacquer not supposed to be applied to something that's rusted. Originally I was not going to bring it back to the rust state but I've changed my mind.. lol and now I want too. :D

Thank you again and again and again
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2009, 12:44 AM
    Hi again, MsCanFix!

Now that, I'm not exactly sure about, but I think that it would work concerning sealing the rust.

Rust needs oxygen in order to develop, and sealing it in with lacquer should work.

If you let it rust to the extent that it is really thoroughly coverered and jagged with the rust, then I would think that the sealing with the lacquer would be less likely to be effective.

So, it would depend on how much you're going to allow it to rust.

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2009, 06:59 AM
    Hi,

Well, I guess only one way to find out, lol, I'll have to do it and just see. I want to rust it to the point I like, it's not at a point of that yet, I'm thinking it's going to be jagged to give it that old look with character when I'll be OK with it. I want to laquer it at that point to stop the rust process and keep the look I've achieved.
    What laquer do you think all the Mexican Style furniture has on it? All the hardware, like the handles and such are usually rusted and quite jagged looking but when you open the drawers the handles don't feel jagged and the rust doesn't rub off.

Thank you much,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Food safe in panama? [ 4 Answers ]

Is food safe to eat in Panama?

Food-safe glue [ 2 Answers ]

I have a couple of insulated plastic tumblers (double-walled, I think is the term). Anyway, the tumblers have come unglued due to frequent trips to the dishwasher, I guess. Rather than throwing them away, I would like to reglue the 'double-wall' pieces back together and keep using them. Does...

Food safe wood filler [ 1 Answers ]

I am making a wood cutting board need to fill some cracks what's safe

Safe people food and water [ 4 Answers ]

I know that chocolate, onions and chicken bones are bad for dogs. I hear some say garlic is good and others that say it is as bad as onions for a dog. I wanted to know which it is and what other foods are bad for dogs. Also mainly wanted to know if olive oil is safe for dogs. My dog has been...

View more questions Search