Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jefferson86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 08:47 PM
    Not on lease, paid rent on time, can I move out early?
    I have been living in an apartment in Virginia for four months, not on the lease. I have been paying my housemate because she never took the other two girls who used to live here off the lease to put me on. The rental office does not know of this situation. I have paid rent to her monthly and on time.
    We recently had an argument and she threatened lots of stuff her and her mother realized they couldn't enforce... tried to scare me... fast forward...
    The lease (that I'm not on, but the housemate is) is over May 31st. I have never signed anything saying I'll stay for the month of May, but I have said I will to the girl, and her mother.
    If I just... leave... before May starts, can they sue me?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 09:16 PM

You would be sub leasing from the person who has the lease.

So you are on a month to month verbal rental. You would have to give a 30 day notice to move out, normally at the start of a rent period.

So if you have not already given notice you would owe for may and could be sued for that.
    dprinct Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 03:20 PM
    How do they prove that you had an agreement for may
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 13, 2012, 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    ... So if you have not already given notice you would owe for may and could be sued for that.
    It's February 13th. If you want to move out by May 1, you have until April 1 to give a 30-day notice.

Oh, old thread! You got me, Deprinct. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend & I signed a lease, paid rent & deposit, now I am not moving in [ 2 Answers ]

My Niece and her "friend" signed a lease to rent this home together, my niece can not move in due to her roommate has invited her boyfriend and another man to live with them. Both men are not on the lease, nor do they have a job and are refusing to leave. My Niece moved all her belongings in and...

Paid partial rent for first month, no lease, decided not to move in. [ 2 Answers ]

I gave landlord half a months rent in advance believing that I was going to move in. it was not intended to be a holding deposit. The landlord was a friend of a friend and the apartment had been empty for over a year. I did not know that the landlord had been actively trying to rent out the...

Deduction for rent paid after early termination [ 2 Answers ]

I had a 6 month lease extending from Jan07-Jun07. I terminated the lease early and had to move out of state starting Feb07. The landlord asked me to pay March and Apr rent which I agreed to. My workplace on the other hand, gave me a relocation package amounting to $5k but again, the "bonus" added...

View more questions Search