Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fingkish Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 07:11 PM
    New Compressor Run OK. HVAC Fan only run in Heat mode.
    This board is awesome. I have done some reading first on here. Here's my case:
    Compr runs fine. Fan on HVAC blower inside runs only in Heat mode. Not on Cool. Not even on "FAN-ON" as opposed to FAN-AUTO.

Can this be an issue with relay and board within HVAC? Per other thread, it was talking about using EAC term, this may be relevant.

Also I found this recommended on another thread:

" take the t-stat off and jumper from r to g if still no fan then the t-stat is ok"

Should I try that? Hard to figure. Can relay/board issue affects both FAN-ON and FAN-AUTO-COOL?

Thanks in advance. What other info helps? HVAC 10 yrs old. Combo Oil/AC system
    Compressor new last summer. T-stat Honeywell T8400 4-wire (W,Y,G,R) non-prog. My first thot was to just purch and try new t-stat. Then I found out about the relay/board stuff on other thread...
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 07:15 PM

The fan on relay is the same as the cooling relay so yes it could have went bad.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Heating mode will have its own relay

Apr 26, 2009, 07:18 PM

Thanks for lightning-quick answer
    That explains (both on same relay). I'll try jumping R-G - and if no joy, then the prob would seem to be relay or other component/issue for which I will call the repairman.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 07:20 PM

What brand furnace do you have? And if it is 10 yrs old you probably do not have a control board so it may just be a relay that you can change yourself

Apr 26, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Furnace name plate= Armstrong
    Installed date 9/1999

I actually have little qualm about replacing relay from an elec. Point of view. As long as it's easily accessible and I don't have to do any metalwork to locate/replace/remount. Guess I need to remove panels and try to find it.

Thanks for pointing out this option. Can you point me toward where I'd find it? Is it in a some kind of box? --

Regards!
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 07:45 PM

Should be in the top door of your furnace probably on the right side.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fingkish View Post
    This board is awesome. I have done some reading first on here. Here's my case:
    Compr runs fine. Fan on HVAC blower inside runs only in Heat mode. Not on Cool. Not even on "FAN-ON" as opposed to FAN-AUTO.

Can this be an issue with relay and board within HVAC? per other thread, it was talking about using EAC term, this may be relevant.

Also I found this recommended on another thread:

" take the t-stat off and jumper from r to g if still no fan then the t-stat is ok"

Should I try that? Hard to figure. Can relay/board issue affects both FAN-ON and FAN-AUTO-COOL?

thanks in advance. What other info helps? HVAC 10 yrs old. Combo Oil/AC sytem
    Compressor new last summer. T-stat Honeywell T8400 4-wire (W,Y,G,R) non-prog. My first thot was to just purch and try new t-stat. Then I found out about the relay/board stuff on other thread.....
    In your subject line you say "New compressor works fine" when was this compressor installed and was a new thermostat installed at the same time?

You mention shorting the R wire to the G wire, if you do this and the fan runs that will mean that your relay is good but that something in the thermostat could be bad.
    What kind of thermostat do you have? It could be a loose terminal in the thermostat.

Apr 26, 2009, 08:01 PM
    On the face of the burner chamber? I found what sure looks like a sort of DPDT relay . Some soot. Maybe contacts need cleaning? Running for the shop vac with the mini nozzle

Now I wonder if I throw the t-stat to FAN-ON can I hear the soleniod coil hum...
    Doesn't appear to have a PC board

Wiring interesting. 2 purple on R and 2 Black on L appear in the locations I would expect for if each color pair was for one circuit pole.

But the 2 Blues are not where I'd expect them. One is about mid way between the purps. The other is line with the top Purp and Top black.

Pu---BLU---BLK

---BLU

PU----------BLK

Apr 26, 2009, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    In your subject line you say "New compressor works fine" when was this compressor installed and was a new thermostat installed at the same time?

You mention shorting the R wire to the G wire, if you do this and the fan runs that will mean that your relay is good but that something in the thermostat could be bad.
    What kind of thermostat do you have? It could be a loose terminal in the thermostat.

Comp installed 9/2008
    Old t-stat
    t-stat is Honeywell dig non-prog. T8400 (round)
    Pulled case. 4-wire ends secure to mounting block. 4-pin SIP block makes connections to T-stats
    Have not accessed interior of T-stat to chk for connections
    Roger that on shorting the R-G to prove out the relay

Will report back on R-G results - Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 08:04 PM

If it is a oil furnace it will not have a board. Should have some sort of transformer relay combo. If that is the case and you are not to fimilar with wiring. You may need a repairman

Apr 26, 2009, 08:23 PM

OK, R-G jump no joy. No fan. I think I heard what sounded like 60Hz power supply ripple hum when I put my ear near what I think is the fan relay. I suppose if I can identify relay specs (label slip on side -- if I can find my little mirror on a stick, I can read it).. to make sure it is the fan relay. I can replace as it's mounted with 4 hex head sheet metal screw to the burn chamber --- just need to figure out it's the right relay. Suppose I can get burner model number too to make sure there's no board it sure doesn't look like it though. Thanks to all.

Apr 26, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    if it is a oil furnace it will not have a board. should have some sort of transformer relay combo. if that is the case and you are not to fimilar with wiring. you may need a repairman
    Since a relay is just a set of NO contacts that get switched on via solenoid, I sure wish I could jump the right relay contacts and make that fan come on. I could throw the breaker, get my VOM and find some likely candidates. I would I think be jumping one side , one of the Blues to one or the other of the Purples or one of the Blues to one or the other Blacks, right?

That would make sure I am replacing the proper part! --- :-)

Thanks for all the advice..
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 08:30 PM

If you can take it off easly and change it. I am pretty sure that is your problem. And I am almost 100% sure you do not have a control board. It should be right there. So I dought you do.

Apr 26, 2009, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    if you can take it off easly and change it. i am pretty sure that is your problem. and i am almost 100% sure you do not have a control board. it should be right there. so i dought you do.
    Thanks for the enouragement. I'll sign off and rpt back in few days when or if I get this resolved. You and this board are doing a great service.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 08:35 PM

Thanks hope it works for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Hvac heat pump with aux/em heat- NO AUX HEAT [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried to install Honeywell 7500d thermostat. I get heat pump heat but no emergency heat although the termostate is calling for it. The installation manual says to see authorized agent if I have a dual 0/b on existing thermostat and another wire is attached to common. As of now, I have ...

Carrier A/C Blower will not come on in A/C mode but works when in heat mode [ 3 Answers ]

I need some guidance. I have a Carrier A/C unit that has been working fine. Last night the fan stopped working for some reason in the A/C mode. But when I put the heat on, it works fine. The compressor and condenser work fine but the A/C fan just will not kick on. I thought it might be the...

20 yr old Lennox heat pump fan blows constantly in heat mode [ 5 Answers ]

20 year old Lennox heat pump - outside temps been 30's at night, 40's daytime UPDATE: I went outside and the unit is covered in frost on 3 sides! I've been reading on Google about frosted heat pump units and can't determine how to manually defrost it. Apparently, the auto defrost is not...

Why does my air handeling coil freeze up when the heat pump is in heat mode? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a TRANE XL 1200 heat pump. When in the heat mode the air handeling coil freezes up, enough to block the air flow. I can turn the heat pump off and leave the air handeling unit air circulating fan on and get the ice melted. After 30 minutes or so I can turn the heat pump back to the on...

Fan runs forever when in heat mode but not in ac mode [ 2 Answers ]

Great web site and concept!! I have a York forced air gas furnace that has a Honeywell Fan Limit switch. The unit works great in the summer. The ac and the fan shut off correctly. However, in the winter the heat will reach its temp setting and turn off but the blower continues forever. I have...

View more questions Search