Where do I put the blue wire?

On the terminal I have the following

G
    W
    Not Used
    Y
    R
    Rc

I am confused when I purchased this unit I was told that anyone can get thos unit installed. I have noticed on my older thermostadt that the BLUE wire wasn't attached, I also couldn't see on the old themsostadt where each wire was connected to.

I need help before paying someone $300 to plug in wires.

Any suggestions are highly appriciated.

Thank you
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 04:39 PM

The "not used" terminal is most likely a C terminal(common). Put the blue to c, and make sure to hook the blue wire up to c at the furnace board. Let us know if you have more questions about this. We will do 0ur best to help.
    KemalZuko Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 04:50 PM

Hello

When you say "put the blue to C" what do you mean by that? The connections I have aviabile on the new therostadt are G W Not Used Y R and Rc I don't see a C to connect the blue wire.

Thank you
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 05:02 PM

W is not used?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Does this t-stat say battery or 24 volt powered?

Apr 26, 2009, 05:06 PM

I have a White wire coming out of the wall. I am trying to figure it out where each wire goes.

I would assume that:

W - White
    Y - Yellow
    R - Red
    G - Green

When I put the BLUE wire to Rc My AC starts working and the heat at the same time. When I leave Blue out and connect the jumper to R and Rc I can't get the AC to turn on.

I am confused
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 05:06 PM

OK, if there is no c terminal. Just leave the blue unhooked. You should be fine. The blue wire was not hooked up to the old thermostat, so it won't need to be hooked up to the new one. Just hook red to r, white to w, yellow to y, green to g

There should be a jumper between r and rc, just leave it in and hook r to r.

If you have a terminal that says not used, then your thermostat does not require a common. Just hook the wires up to the same letters as the old thermostat and you will be set. Please keep me posted.

Apr 26, 2009, 05:09 PM

mygirlsdad77 - I tried that and my AC won't turn on. Please see post above.

JoshDta- It is battery powerd
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 05:12 PM

Can you post a picture of your thermostat leads? And possibly a pic of the area where your thermostat wires hook to your furnace?

Apr 26, 2009, 05:15 PM

I can take some pictures of the thermostadt and the wires that come out of the wall, I';m not quite sure about the second thing to the furnace if you can hold on for 5-10 mor min I will have it for you thank you

Apr 26, 2009, 05:27 PM

Here are the pictures

http://www.bosanci.net/problem/DSC08963.JPG

http://www.bosanci.net/problem/DSC08966.JPG
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 06:22 PM

OK just wire it

r- red
    y-yellow
    w-white
    g-green
    Rh-rc jumpered.

Do not use the blue.

Then touch r to y with a piece of wire or pair of needle nose plyers. If the ac works then you probably need to do a installer setup on your stat. if it does not work then you may have blown a fuse at your furnace.

Apr 26, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Ok I connected

White - W
    Yellow - Y
    Red - R
    Green - G
    RC + R Jummped

Then I turned on the power to the furnace and touched Y + R with pliers, but once I turned the power to the furnace, the furnace came on right away. When I put the cover on to set the temperature and to select AC nothing happens I can hear the furnace working but no AC. The fan is blowing air but no AC. The unit outside is not working. I also can't turn anything off from the thermostat I have to flip the switch to the thermostat. When I select OFF on the thermostat the furnase continues to work. Im not sure what is going on.

I have to turn it off by the main furnace switch.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 07:03 PM

When you say the furnace came on as soon as you turned on the switch, do you mean heat came on or just the blower? What brand furnace do you have?

Apr 26, 2009, 07:06 PM

Just the blower no heat

Apr 26, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Name is albert arna

Apr 26, 2009, 07:11 PM
    When I turn on the Switch the blower comes on after a few minutes heat comes on and ater a few minutes it comes off. I see no name on the furnes except for Weis...

Right now the fan is blowing, and heat comes on and off every few minutes, termostat is set to Cool.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 07:12 PM

Some furnaces have a 1:30 blower on period as soon as you turn the power on have you ever noticed this before. Just a thought. If that is not it sounds like you may have a wire acidently touching anouther somewhere on the t stat
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2009, 07:13 PM
    OK does you t-stat have a installer setup? Sounds like you may be set for heatpump instead of gas furnace!

Apr 26, 2009, 07:42 PM

Hello THank you for the help

I will have to call honnewell tomorrow, when I checked the installer setup I don't see half of those options they show me in the book. Im not sure that I need all of those but the once I can see look to be correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing RTH6300B with wires that are not labeled [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to install a programmable thermostat (Honeywell RTH6300B) to replace an existing round Honeywell non-programmable thermostat. The wires on the existing thermostat are not labeled and there are only 2 wires attached (green and yellow). There is a red wire that is taped off. The new...

Installing Honeywell RTH6300B but I have 7 wires. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a York t-stat for a York system and purchased the 6300. My York t-stat has 7 wires (W, B, G, R, X, O, Y). Of those, the Honeywell instructions indicate that the 6300 will use C, G, W, Y, R, and possibly O or B. It says that if you have both O and B that you should install O and tape up B...

How to connect wires to a RTH6300B honeywell thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I only have 2 wires to connect I removed the old wires from the W and R connection And put them on the new one but nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated

Installing Honeywell RTH6300B from an older 7 wire Honeywell. PROBLEMS [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am new here. I found this site which trying to troubleshoot my problem. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated. Basically I have an older honeywell programmable thermostat with 7 wires attached. They are as follows... C - Black wire L - Blue wire R- Red wire W2 - brown...

Honeywell RTH6300B, 6 wires and no clue [ 5 Answers ]

I took out a hunter programmable and replaced it with a honeywell. Heat worked fine but air won't work now. I have 6 wires red, orange, yellow, white, green, black. I have green in G, White in W, and red in R. I have yellow, orange, and black and Y and Rc left. What do I do? Is there a way to use a...

View more questions Search